DTS via sp_OAs give "Not enough storage is available to process this command."

• Hi All,

All my DTS packages are failing when called via sp_OA procs with error: -2147217900 "Not enough storage is available to process this command." on the LoadFromSQLServer method.

It has been working fine for two years up until 3 days ago.  At first glance it seems like some memory limit has been reached but what exactly I have no idea.

All the DTS packages run fine from Enterprise Manager and there have been no security changes in the couple of months.

Any ideas?  Is this a result of the sp_OA procs causing some type of memory leak or corruption?

Thanks

Jim

• It's definitely a memory error. I would check to see if there is stuff running that shouldn't be including a check for viruses if you're not already protected (which I assume you are).

Have you rebooted since this started?

How much disk space is free on the drive(s) with the paging file?

Are you destroying the objects (sp_OADestroy)? I know that it supposed to destroy them automatically at the end of the process, but if it's not doing that, it could be eating up your memory.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Restarting SQL Server fixed the problem for now.  It does seem like sp_OADestroy is not always being called - T-SQL error handling is just not good enough.

My problem now is keeping an eye on this.  I'd like to use profiler to keep track of SQL Server application memory being used as I don't think its a virtual memory issue - plenty of free space on the drives with paging file.

If its a matter of COM objects not being cleaned up properly does anyone know how I can track this (if with Profiler what counters should I use)?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply