Dumb question: Where is SSIS?

• Ok, I am getting somewhere. Only problem is there is not an ODBC source. I can only see an OLE DB Source in the toolbox. I would think that I could go to Tools -> Choose Toolbox Items and add the correct component. I added AccessDataSource as a test and it does not show up in the toolbox under Data Flow Sources. I had tried adding ODBC items from Choose Toolbox Items the first day I started messing with SSIS without any luck. Any ideas how I add a new toolbox item?

Thanks again!!

• I would also recommend buying a book on SSIS. Wroks has a very good book that would be helpful: Profession SQL Server Integration Services 2005 (I hope I got the name right, as I have the bok but not in the office with me at the moment).

This book was extremely helpful as I wrote my first SSIS project.

😎

• I always use OLE DB sources, so I really can't answer that question for you. Has anyone else done ODBC sources?

I recommend the SSIS book put out by McGraw Hill called "Hands-On Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Integration Services", but books are a preference thing. Look at all available books for SSIS while you're standing in the bookstore and pick the one that seems to answer the questions in the style you can understand.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Lynn Pettis (1/10/2008)

I would also recommend buying a book on SSIS. Wroks has a very good book that would be helpful: Profession SQL Server Integration Services 2005 (I hope I got the name right, as I have the bok but not in the office with me at the moment).

This book was extremely helpful as I wrote my first SSIS project.

😎

Believe me.......I am all in to support Lynn Pettis recommendation. I actually started off and got better and better by JUST reading Wrox's SQL Server Integration Services book. They have many stages. I suggest you buy Professional stage. It contains what you need for right now. Then when you are okay, go for the Expert stage. I am reading that now. Also, for what is given to you to do, there is nothing hard if you can hook up the source in SSIS. But if your boss wants more later, SSIS can be very tricky and that is when you will get frustrated. I will highly recommend getting some course or class already before it is too late. Everyone else is moving on too. You have to catch up.

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• This is really not an ODBC issue. It is a toolbox issue. I can't add items to the toolbox. They don't show up.

• That's not what I meant. I only ever use the OLE DB sources and destinations. Hence, I don't know the trick (and there is one, I remember seeing a post about it) to adding an ODBC connection to a DatatFlow Source object.

I know other people have done this, but I haven't tried it at all.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• cbrinson (1/10/2008)

This is really not an ODBC issue. It is a toolbox issue. I can't add items to the toolbox. They don't show up.

I don't understand your problem. You want to add item to the toolbox that they already have in SSIS? What exactly do you want to do now? How far are you thru? Why do you want to add to your toolbox? Toolbox is there to help you choose particular transformation to do what you want to do with your data and hence the package that you are creating. If you can't see your toolbox, go to the Menu bar, click View>>toolbox or it must have been dimmed. Just click the dimmed section beside Server explorer and bam! there it is. Try it. I really want to help a struggling person like you, but seems like you are really very new and you are really having trouble even finding some items there. Please spend sometime on Book Online and also play around with other buttons. You will be okay soon!;)

[font="Verdana"]Imagination is more important than knowledge-Albert Einstein[/font]

• Has nothing to do with being new. You can't connect to an ODBC data flow source (that I know of) without having the option listed under the Data Flow Sources tab. It simply ain't there. If you right click in the toolbox item and select "Choose Items" you can add other Data Flow Sources. Obviously there are more than the 7 types of data sources that come shipped in the world.

However, when I select OdbcCommand or OdbcConnection or even AccessDataSource for giggles in the Choose Toolbox Items dialog and then click ok. Those new items do not appear under Data Flow Sources. However, if you right click and select "Show All" the items just selected do show up but they are grayed out.

I do not know why. I appreciate your earlier help but I learn quickly. This is not a newbie question. I mean, you don't know the answer yourself nor do the others above who do understand what I am asking. Others on the web are experiencing the same issue but I can't track down the solution.

• You might be stuck with making the DBA of the other database export the data as a flat file and then hooking up with that.

But I'm positive I read something about 7 months ago that told how you could connect an ODBC connection to one of the existing Data Flow Source objects.... I just can't seem to find it right now. Sorry about that.

• What you need to do is BUY SOME BOOKS, as previously mentioned and start there.

But to do an ODBC connection do the connection manager as I said before and you then have an .NET connection for ODBC. i.e. your ODBC is fed through .NET provider

So you then put a data flow on, right click it and edit then put an .NET datareader source, right click and edit.

Set connection manager to your created connection manager and in the component properties sql command enter your sql query.

Try using the Import/export wizard to create a SSIS package and then examine it to learn from it. They are very simple but a start.

• I got a book and am making progress now. The problem I was having was related to the IDE. I had a connection created and added a datareader option. But the drop down tab within the datareader does not show up unless you pass your mouse over the extreme right side of the block where (I know now) you select the connection. I kept clicking in that area and couldn't figure out how you specify the connection. Felt stupid when I realized what I did wrong but that is a really lame design on Microsoft's part. Why not just have the dropdown arrow show up like it does in every other application they have ever created? Thanks for the help though.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply