Dump SQL Permissions

• This is a great idea for a tool - kudos to the author!

I'm having a problem with it that is probably because of something I'm doing wrong - I thought that I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else had the same issue.

I have an ID that has been granted permission to update a specific column in a table and has no other rights in the table. The DumpSQLSec tool doesn't report any type of access for the ID in the table. It does seem to catch all other permissions for this ID that are granted in regards to entire tables. Is this a bug or is it me?

Thanks!

• You're right it doesn't handle column permissions, the code is iterating through by object type and then for each object (table,view, stored procedure, function) executing the ListPermissions method. It looks like column is another object in SQL-DMO. I'm currently working on a Powershell script which uses SMO, once its finished I'll write an article about it. The Powershell/SMO script will handle column permissions correctly.

--Chad

• Hello Steve,

yes I would like to look at it. May I ask you to send it over to me?

With kind regards,

John

• All,

I've completed a part-time 9 month project to write a utility called "SQL Server PowerShell Extensions (SQLPSX) which uses SMO, PowerShell, and SSRS to produce permissions/security reports including effective permissions by enumerating nested Windows AD/local and SQL Server roles. SQLPSX can be scheduled to run in batch mode and loads the collected security information into a database for reporting and analysis. Check it out on my CodePlex project site.

http://www.codeplex.com/SQLPSX

• Where can I download Dumpsqlsec?

• See links at bottom of article [/url]

• I was just about to roll my own when I came across this looking for an updated version of DumpSec. Thank you, Thank you, Thank You:-D:-D:-D

MG

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
    Tony Hoare

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." Red Adair.

• what version of client tools does it need?

• The solution relies on SQL-DMO and Excel. SQL-DMO is deprecated class for managing SQL Server. SQL-DMO is install with SQL Server 2000, but not with SQL Server 2005 or higher. You can install SQL-DMO from by downloading the "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Backward Compatibility Components" from Microsoft Downloads. This download might be available for SQL Server 2008 also.

• Excelent tool! nice work... any version for SQL Server 2005? Thanks!

• As mentioned, Dump SQL Permissions relies on deprecated SQL-DMO library. I've release a 2000 and higher tool that uses SMO library here http://www.codeplex.com/SQLPSX. The project is more complex/featured and includes SQL Server Reporting Services Reports.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply