Duplicate Column Names in Data Flow after Lookup Control

• Hey maestros,

How do you avoid multiple columns named ErrorCode and ErrorColumn in the data flow?

I tried renaming them in the advanced editor for the lookup control to Lookup_ErrorColumn and Lookup_ErrorCode they cannot be removed.  But it does not seem to stick. 

When I get to the end of the chain and try to debug by putting a flat file destination on the error output after my OLE DB (the errors from the OLE DB are not detailed enough) the flat file destination will not work because: "Error at DFT Insert-Update Announcements [Flat File Destination [13253]]: There is more than one data source column with the name "ErrorCode". The data source column names must be unique."

Thanks all!

Skål - jh

• And on my larger issue:

Debugging the type conflicts with the OLE DB Destination is tough, it only gives a very basic error that an OLE DB step failed. I was using Flat File Destination on the OLE DB error output to try and figure out the errors, now that won't even work because of the lookup  which splits up the data flow to update and insert destinations are adding duplicate error columns.

Besides just duplicate error columns...

Please, *please*, how do you debug the OLE DB destination? The error message does not work and now the error file jury rig won't either.

Thanks you all with all this new SSIS.

Skål - jh

• Just change the names of the columns in the flat file connection manager.

-Jamie

• ah-HA! the flat file connection manager eh?

that worked thank you Jamie. I would never have found that yet another hidden column thing.  Wish there was a quick easier way to see it all in one place.

Skål - jh

• Is there an easier way to do this? I was bitten by this a while ago and ended up copying lots of XML and changing the code there to get something I could use to differentiate the various columns so I knew which one I was choosing or some other oddity. Making changes to 100 columns inside of the GUI is painful to say the least.

-Pete

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply