Duplicate rows

• I can select eliminating duplicate rows by using DISNTICT keyword but how can I select the rows which are duplicating.

• SELECT with  GROUP BY and HAVING COUNT(*) > 1. 

This will give you both records...

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Add a count to test for duplicates and more

Select duplicating_value, Count(*)

From table

Group By duplicating_value

Having Count(*) > 1

Results:

KORY 5

MARK 2

• Good thinking! 

• Also, if you want to review the entire rows for analysis that holds the dupe keys, you can do like this:

select *

from  myTable

where dupeValue in

( select   dupeValue

from     myTable

group by dupeValue

having count(*) > 1 )

order by dupeValue

or.. for very large volumes if IN proves to be slow

select t.*

from  myTable t

join  ( select   dupeValue

from     myTable

group by dupeValue

having count(*) > 1

) x

on      x.dupeValue = t.dupeValue

order by t.dupeValue

/Kenneth

• Is there an echo in here!????

• ..and you intended to add something useful to the thread...?

/Kenneth

• what ... rather than to copy and paste you did from copy and paste before that!??

• Well, you've lost me. If you indeed have something to say, just state your mind in clear terms instead of playing around.

/Kenneth

• think you might have been lost before that ... seeing as by the time you came into the thread, it had already been answered twice!? ... and lo and behold, u decide to answer it again with the exact same query!?

• Whoa!  I think Kenneth just offered another alternative, (derived table select)....   

Personally, I like having a plethora of alternatives...  

• I can see that this leads nowhere, so it's probably as well to end the discussion.

I might suggest that you, dear sir, read the entire posts that you feel inclined to comment upon, especially if the comments in themselves does not add any value to the question at hand.

I did not answer the question posed by the original poster. I did make an additional note about what is usually the next question when dealing with duplicate data, which is also clearly stated as the first line:

Also, if you want to review the entire rows for analysis that holds the dupe keys, you can do like this:

If you can find that 'answered' earlier in the thread, I do apologize, because I must be blind since I couldn't see it.

Thank you.

/Kenneth

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply