Dynamic column names at the destination

• Hi All,

How can I have the dynamic column names at the detination, My colums name chages every quater. I mean to say, the date should be added up with the column name, everytime I run the package.

I have been looking at different articles but I could not find any which could resolve my problem.

It would be great if any one could guide me.

Thanks,

Preensheen

• Well, you can't. At least not with out-of-the-box SSIS.

There are possibly some commercial add-ins that let you achieve this task.

So basically, you are stuck with scripting. Either in a Script Task, or in T-SQL in an Execute SQL Task.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• da-zero (10/5/2010)

Well, you can't. At least not with out-of-the-box SSIS.

There are possibly some commercial add-ins that let you achieve this task.

So basically, you are stuck with scripting. Either in a Script Task, or in T-SQL in an Execute SQL Task.

Can you please guide me best way by which I can achive the task accomplished.

• What is the Business Intelligence tool you are using? SSRS or SSIS

• preensheen (10/4/2010)

Hi All,

How can I have the dynamic column names at the detination, My colums name chages every quater. I mean to say, the date should be added up with the column name, everytime I run the package.

I have been looking at different articles but I could not find any which could resolve my problem.

Thanks,

Preensheen

You may find it simpler to store your data in a table that doesn't put each quarter in a separate column, but rather has a [quarter] column, and a pivot view on top of that table.

• laksgovi (10/5/2010)

What is the Business Intelligence tool you are using? SSRS or SSIS

SSIS

• getoffmyfoot (10/5/2010)

preensheen (10/4/2010)

Hi All,

Thanks,

Preensheen

You may find it simpler to store your data in a table that doesn't put each quarter in a separate column, but rather has a [quarter] column, and a pivot view on top of that table.

So it is more likely that...I have to first pull all the quater values in a table and then pivot that table ...and once the table is ready..with all quaters...then start inserting the values which have to be..right?

• Absolutely, the package flow would resemble as below:

Original data --> Derived Column Task --> Pivot Task --> Destination

Raunak J

• Raunak Jhawar (10/5/2010)

Absolutely, the package flow would resemble as below:

Original data --> Derived Column Task --> Pivot Task --> Destination

Hey thanks a lot. Working on it and let you know once I suceed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply