Dynamic detection of SQL Server/DB State

• Greetings!

I have a requirement wherein I want to execute an app depending on my database/SQL Server state. e.g. my app/exe should be triggered when:

1. sql server goes down.

2. database is down.

3. database is corrupt. etc.

I tried looking log file but it doesn't store all the info and i want like just-in-time whenever something happens to my SQL Server or my database, it should notify to my app. Is this possible within SQL ?? Please advise

Regards,

Dilip

• There is no way you can configure SQL Server to automatically notify your app for these events. Your best bet is to have your app, either externally or via some SQL Server job, check the status of these events at a recurring interval. Doing these checks will generally have close to no performance effect on your system, so you can do it often like every second or so.

• Chris, i have written an external vbs script which gets me what i want but i have to schedule it and it has to run all the time.

i was just thinking weirdly if sql server can do the job for me that is notify me when it fails. can sql server 2000 notification services do this? just thinking weirdly..i dont have any experience on notification services..

Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Dilip

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply