Dynamic import of spreadsheets

• Hi,  I've used DTS for some time but never delved into trying to make the processes "dynamic".  I currently have a package set up that imports a number of excel files into a table.  I would like to change the package so that it is easier to add and remove new files from the list.  Ideally the list of file names would be held in a table in the database and the package would be set up to loop through the records in the list and import each one.  Is this possible and how would I go about doing it?

Andrew

• Hi Back -

I'm sure the answer is "use a Dynamic Properties Task" - but not being the adventurous type, I would probably find a way to do this all in VBScript (must be a way to do this - even if you had to start by saving the current package as VB).  Or maybe I'm up past my bedtime and hallucinating to boot.

Mike at the Mill

• Take a look over at http://www.sqldts.com

They have a good article on processing a global variable rowset which should give you the building blocks you need. As suggested you would assign the filenames using a Dynamic Properties task.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply