dynamic sql

• DECLARE @id int

SET @id=2

DECLARE @sql varchar(400)

SELECT @sql='SELECT * FROM emp WHERE id='+ @id+ 'ORDER BY id'

EXEC (@sql)

I am getting the following error when I execute the above code.

Syntax error converting the varchar value 'SELECT * FROM emp WHERE id=' to a column of data type int.

What should be the reason and how to fix it. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

• The parser is trying to cast the first portion of you @sql to int implicitly. Instead, you need to explicitly cast @id to varchar.

DECLARE @id int

SET @id=2

SELECT @sql='SELECT * FROM emp WHERE id='+ cast(@id as varchar(30)) + 'ORDER BY id'

EXEC (@sql)

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• thanks.

• You might want to add a space in front of the ORDER BY to make sure it doesn't run into the id.

And then again, I might be wrong ...
    David Webb

• DECLARE @id int

SET @id=2

SELECT @sql='SELECT * FROM emp WHERE id=@id ORDER BY id'

exec sp_executesql @sql, N'@id int', @id

• And may I ask why you are using dynamic sql for this???

• Try this

SELECT @sql='SELECT * FROM emp WHERE id = ' + Convert(Varchar,@id) + ' ORDER BY id'

EXEC (@sql)

• My questions was aimed at him avoiding the use of dynamic sql.. not encourage him :-).

• remi - your question was not clear enough...you should've said - "in the example posted, it is not clear why dynamic sql is being used - try & avoid dynamic sql as much as you would a cursor...if you explain the requirements someone may be able to come up with a solution that eliminates the use of dynamic sql!"

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• Well it's his job at risk (or not), not mine :-).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply