dynamic sql in a function

• Hello to every one,

I have two parameters

@param1 = dbname.username.table_name

@param2= value

Is there any way that I pass these two parameters to a function and return a bit value either 0 or 1 based on the given @param2 value.

Thanks,

Sri.

• Assuming you want to do something like select Aval from the table var where fld = second parm, the answer is no. You cannot use dynamic sql in a function.

• SriSun (3/20/2008)

Hello to every one,

I have two parameters

@param1 = dbname.username.table_name

@param2= value

Is there any way that I pass these two parameters to a function and return a bit value either 0 or 1 based on the given @param2 value.

Thanks,

Sri.

While not 100% sure what you would like to return (does a particular column contain the value? Is there a column with this name? ...) you could use a stored procedure with dynamic SQL, but not a function.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• You can only do this in a CLR function.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• There are a couple of options that could work, but it depends on your {param2}. Could you please provide an example of {param2}?

Dave

• Hi All,

This is one of the example code.

create table dbo.employee(ename nvarchar(32))

insert dbo.employee values('Sri')

insert dbo.employee values('Mike')

declare @tablename nvarchar(128), @column_name nvarchar(32), @value nvarchar(32)

declare @emp_status bit

select @tablename = 'dbo.employee' @column_name = 'ename', @value = 'Sri'

set @emp_status = 0

select @emp_status = dbo.fn_does_employee_exists(@tablename,@column_name,@value)

print @emp_status

• SriSun (3/25/2008)

Hi All,

This is one of the example code.

create table dbo.employee(ename nvarchar(32))

insert dbo.employee values('Sri')

insert dbo.employee values('Mike')

declare @tablename nvarchar(128), @column_name nvarchar(32), @value nvarchar(32)

declare @emp_status bit

select @tablename = 'dbo.employee' @column_name = 'ename', @value = 'Sri'

set @emp_status = 0

select @emp_status = dbo.fn_does_employee_exists(@tablename,@column_name,@value)

print @emp_status

Well, as mentioned, you cannot do this with a function. Not even CLR. However, you can use a stored procedure like:

CREATE PROC dbo.fn_does_employee_exists

( @tablename sysname

, @column_name sysname

, @value NVARCHAR(32)

, @returnvalue BIT OUTPUT)

AS

BEGIN

DECLARE @q NVARCHAR(1000)

SET @q = 'select 1 AS a from ' + QUOTENAME(@tablename) + ' where '

+ QUOTENAME(@column_name) + ' = N''' + @value + ''''

CREATE TABLE #foo ( a bit )

INSERT #foo

EXEC ( @q )

SELECT TOP 1

@returnvalue = a

FROM #foo

DROP TABLE #foo

END

To call it:

DECLARE @tablename NVARCHAR(128)

, @column_name NVARCHAR(32)

, @value NVARCHAR(32)

DECLARE @emp_status BIT

SELECT @tablename = 'employee'

, @column_name = 'ename'

, @value = 'Sri'

DECLARE @ret BIT

EXECUTE dbo.fn_does_employee_exists @tablename, @column_name, @value,

@ret OUTPUT

PRINT @ret

Still not sure why this is needed though 🙂 Performance wise, if you could, avoid dynamic SQL.

Regards,

Andras

Andras Belokosztolszki, MCPD, PhD
    GoldenGate Software

• If you will always be checking the same table, then there is a way to create a function to check a particular passed in column for a particular passed in value. In the 'WHERE' clause, you will be using a case statement for each column in the table.

here is what the function would look like for a table (Employees) that contains Fields: EmpId, First, Middle, Last.

create function fn_FindValue (@vcColumn varchar(25), @vcValue varchar(50))

returns tinyint

as

begin

declare @ICT int

select @ICT = CT

from (select count(*) AS CT

from Employees

where EmpId = CASE WHEN @vcColumn = 'EmpId' THEN @vcValue ELSE EmpId END

and First = CASE WHEN @vcColumn = 'First' THEN @vcValue ELSE First END

and Middle = CASE WHEN @vcColumn = 'Middle' THEN @vcValue ELSE Middle END

and Last = CASE WHEN @vcColumn = 'Last' THEN @vcValue ELSE Last END) a

IF @ICT > 0

RETURN 1

ELSE

RETURN 0

end

Dave Novak

• Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions.

Final question:

There are lots of scenarios at my work where I have to use this type of code, so I wrote procedures instead of functions (which is not allowed).

My only concerned here was, is the stored procedure has same performance level as function.

Thanks,

Sri.

• I think the big concern is that the way you would use this would force single-row processing, which in SQL server is VERY inefficient. That is often enough why functions are "banned".

Given how you intend to use it, on SQL's standard, wrapping it as a SP will be no more or less efficient than your function (if you were to not make it a dynamic SQL scenario), since you're removing its ability to operate on a set. You'd be much better off building this into an EXISTS construct in the actual query you're using - you'd see a lot of gain for doing it that way instead of one row at a time (or "RBAR" as we call that around here: Row By Agonizing Row).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I don't use these functions in a set based queires, only used for verification purposes/pre-checks.

Thanks guys, thanks miller.

Sri.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply