Dynamically accessing different databases

• We're starting the design work on a an application that will access two databases - a live database and an archive database. The archive database contains exactly the same structure as the live db EXCEPT it has the addition of a dateperiod id for each column. On a daily basis the live database will be copied to the warehouse including the current timestamp.

The problem... We'll be using Crystal reports and I'd like to use the same report to access both the live and warehouse databases. We decided that all reports should use stored procedures. One way to tackle this would be as follows:

spGetReportData ( @database varchar(10), @reportingperiod int)

IF @database = 'LIVE' BEGIN

SELECT col1, col2 FROM LIVE..table1

ELSEIF @database = 'WAREHOUSE'

SELECT col1, col2 FROM WAREHOUSE..table1

WHERE periodid = @reportingperiod

END

>>

This would effectively mean that we need to write 2 select statements depending on whether we are accessing either the live or warehouse dbs. We could go ahead and build a dynamic piece of SQL that concatenates the db name on the fly but then land up having all our stored procs compiling on the fly which is not ideal.

Are there any better ways of doing this?

• How about using a distributed view? And probably adding the report period to the live db.

Andy

• hi sorry I don't quite follow - I thought distributed views were only used when you wanted to do a union type select across multiple databases/servers. How exactly do you envisage this scenario?

thnks

• I think the trick here is to report off of one view, not do conditional branching to figure out where to get the data from. By using a view to union the table from live + archive you're getting SQL to do the condition work for you. For it to work the structures have to match (so that the union works). So not only does it simplify the logic, you can include "live" data in a report that also needs to include archived data.

Andy

• Just a vote for Andy's solution.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply