Dynamically Creating MS Access Table

• Hi,

I am trying to create a series of MS access tables from within a SQL 2000 DTS package. The names of the tables reflect the date range of the data within them. Creating the "Create table ddmmyy ...." statement isn't a problem (full code below), but doesn't run as it creates a Jet error - "Invalid SQL statement; expected 'DELETE', 'INSERT', 'PROCEDURE', 'SELECT', or 'UPDATE'. Does anyone know if what I'm trying to do is possible.

Before anyone suggests it, yes I have posted this on Access forums.

declare @TheName char (8)

,@Cmd char (500)

select @TheName = (select max(LastRunDate) from NSP_Analysis_Dates)

select @Cmd = 'CREATE TABLE `NSP_Analysis_' + @TheName + '` (`TYPE` VarChar (200) NULL, `VENDOR_NO` VarChar (10) NULL, `VENDOR_NAME` VarChar (50) NULL, `AMOUNT_CLAIMED` Currency NULL, `REGION` VarChar (100) NULL, `CLUSTER` VarChar (100) NULL, `PLANT_CODE` VarChar (15) NULL, `PLANT_NAME` VarChar (50) NULL, `DATE_OF_SERVICE` DateTime NULL, `STATUS` VarChar (200) NULL, `TICKET_NO` VarChar (20) NULL, `NOTES` VarChar (255) NULL, `DATE_ENTERED` DateTime NULL, `AuthorisedByName` VarChar (50) NULL)'

sp_executesql @Cmd

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• You're trying to execute a SQL Server stored procedure in an Execute SQL Task where the connection is an Access database? That's not going to work.

Here's one way to do what you want:

1) Create a global variable that will store the dynamic part of the table name. I'm calling it "DynamicTableName"

2) Create a new Execute SQL task. It's SQL statement will be "SELECT MAX(LastRunDate) FROM NSP_Analysis_Dates". Set up an Output parameter that will store the value returned by this query in your "DynamicTableName" Global Variable.

3) Create an Active X Script task. This will populate the SQL Statement of your original Execute SQL Task. I'm assuming that your Execute SQL Task is "DTSTask_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1". Add this code to the Active X Script task:

Function Main()

Dim strTableName

Dim objSQLTask

strTableName = DTSGlobalVariables("DynamicTableName").Value

Set objSQLTask = DTSGlobalVariables.Parent.Tasks("DTSTask_DTSExecuteSQLTask_1").CustomTask

objSQLTask.SQLStatement = " CREATE TABLE `NSP_Analysis_" & strTableName & "` (`TYPE` VarChar (200) NULL, `VENDOR_NO` VarChar (10) NULL, `VENDOR_NAME` VarChar (50) NULL, `AMOUNT_CLAIMED` Currency NULL, `REGION` VarChar (100) NULL, `CLUSTER` VarChar (100) NULL, `PLANT_CODE` VarChar (15) NULL, `PLANT_NAME` VarChar (50) NULL, `DATE_OF_SERVICE` DateTime NULL, `STATUS` VarChar (200) NULL, `TICKET_NO` VarChar (20) NULL, `NOTES` VarChar (255) NULL, `DATE_ENTERED` DateTime NULL, `AuthorisedByName` VarChar (50) NULL)"

Set objSQLTask = Nothing

Main = DTSTaskExecResult_Success

End Function

4) Execute the tasks created in steps 2 & 3. Open the original Execute SQL task. You'll see that it's been populated with an actual SQL statement that Access will understand. Execute this task to create your table.

• Erik,

You sir, are a star!!

Many thanks

Stuart

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply