Dynamically set Table Name in SP?

• I've been playing with the following bit of code in the query analyser and hit a small snag, the code is supposed to detect whether a table exists, if it doesn't then create it, if not add a new colomn

Declare @TableName VarChar(1000)

Declare @SQL VarChar(4000)

Declare @sTool VarChar(1000)

Declare @sNewCol VarChar(1000)

set @sTool = 'fieldname'

set @sNewCol = 'New Feild'

set @TableName = 'tester'

SET @SQL = IF not EXISTS(select * from information_schema.columns where table_name='tester')

begin

SELECT @SQL = 'Create Table ' + @TableName + '('

SELECT @SQL = @SQL + 'ID int NOT NULL Primary Key, FieldName VarChar(10))'

Exec (@SQL)

end

else

begin

SET @SQL = 'ALTER TABLE [' + @TableName +'] ADD [' + @sNewCol +'] varchar (200)'

exec (@SQL)

end

as it stands this works fine, but if I try to make table_name dynamic in the If Not Exists line I hit a snag, can anyone help?

• You shouldn't need to use dynamic SQL for the NOT EXISTS statement. Try this:

IF NOT EXISTS(select * from information_schema.columns where table_name = @TableName)

begin

SELECT @SQL = 'Create Table ' + @TableName + '('

SELECT @SQL = @SQL + 'ID int NOT NULL Primary Key, FieldName VarChar(10))'

Exec (@SQL)

end

else

begin

SET @SQL = 'ALTER TABLE [' + @TableName +'] ADD [' + @sNewCol +'] varchar (200)'

exec (@SQL)

end

Oh, and use varchar(128) for table names and column names.

• Karl, that's obsolutely brilliant, exactly what I needed many thanks !

• And beware of the following:

(1) The way you have designed this, you need to give the user permission to create tables.

(2) You don't have a check for whether the column name already exists, so if you run your code multiple times, it will eventually fail.

John

• I understand John, thanks for the info

• Another thing to look out for is that INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS also lists columns in views. Therefore, if @TableName happens to be the name of a view, it'll also fail because ALTER TABLE won't work on a view.

John

• I know it's a bit more work but to execute dynamic SQL but...

"SQL gives you the option of using exec() or sp_executesql. Of the two, sp_executesql is the better choice, it will try to re-use previous plans that match the query exactly. You can boost this some by using parameters in your sql, something I rarely see done. SP_executesql also has the advantage of supporting output parameters so you can return info from the dynamic session back into the calling stored procedure. ADO automatically uses sp_executesql when you do a connection.execute."

from

Dynamic SQL or Stored Procedure

By Andy Warren, 2003/04/23

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply