Dynamics AX (Axapta) and SQL Server 2008?

• I'm the DBA for a company running Axapta 3.0 on SQL Server 2000. We're considering options for upgrading. Has anyone run across benefits or issues with running MS Dynamics AX 2009 on SQL Server 2008?

For testing, I've installed Axapta 3.0 on SQL Server 2005 and 2008, and could connect via a test AOS in "thinclient" mode.

Also, what opinions does anyone have on the value of moving just the database engine from SQL Server 2000 to 2005 or 2008?

• I'm in the exactly the same situation, got a Axapta 3.0 on a SQL 2000 and want to move it to a SQL 2008. I'm going to set up a new installation based on SQL 2008 to test which compatibility level that works and to see how performance is compared to our existing installation. Since Axapta 3.0 SP3 with Kernel Update is supported on SQL 2005 (which is the level of our Axapta) you should be able to use SQL 2005 features, but it's not likely that SQL 2008 features will work.

The benefits of moving as I see it, is for our business that we can move all our SQLs to SQL 2008 and manage only one db platform version. Other than that you should also see a performance gain switching to SQL 2008, based on the improved technologies and that you can run 64 bit.

• I have been running AX3 SP2 on SQL 2005 for almost a year. Granted, I had to run it in 2000 compatibility mode because I was not at a high enough SP level. I have exprerienced no issues. The only requirement was changing the schema of the database and setting permissions. AX runs like a clock and we have realized significant performance advantages having a faster database server.

• Hello,

bkDBA (9/22/2008)

I'm the DBA for a company running Axapta 3.0 on SQL Server 2000. We're considering options for upgrading. Has anyone run across benefits or issues with running MS Dynamics AX 2009 on SQL Server 2008?

I would definitely recommend upgrading to Ax 2009 with MS SQL Server 2005/2008. Some significant benefits on upgrading to Ax 2009 -

* MS have invested significant sums on improving Ax performance - including leveraging full benefits on 64 bit OS.

* Significant number of new functionalities - including much requested functionalities like workflow, three way matching, role centers etc

For complete list of advantages to upgrading to Ax 2009, please check here - http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7B80DC17-BCF0-4AF5-A4D0-81ABA51F8002&displaylang=en

NOTE - Regarding SQL Server 2008, I understand that it is still not available in Ax price list. Last time I checked (which is yesterday), it is not available in UK. I understand it might be included soon - so either wait till then or go live with SQL 2005 and upgrade to SQL 2008 later.

For testing, I've installed Axapta 3.0 on SQL Server 2005 and 2008, and could connect via a test AOS in "thinclient" mode.

Also, what opinions does anyone have on the value of moving just the database engine from SQL Server 2000 to 2005 or 2008?

Are you referring to Ax 3.0 installation? If yes, I would highly recommend moving to SQL 2005. Also to increase Ax 3.0 performance with SQL 2005, you can undertake a variety of exercises on Ax. A partner might be able to help you with this.

Hope this helps,

Harish Mohanbabu MBCS

http://harish-m.livejournal.com/

• It's far easier upgrading the SQL Server, than upgrading from Ax 3.0 til Ax 2009 with a highly customized application. I'm sure that Ax2009 have major performance improvements, but their value depends on how the code on top is done and not all Microsoft partners are good at both business solutions and performance at the same time.

We are going to upgrade our Ax 3.0 to SQL 2008 in the beginning of 2009 and upgrade to Ax 2009 in 2010 due to the major task it is to migrate custom code. I'm looking forward to both upgrades.

Our SQL is going to be 64bit (anyone choosing 32bit these days?) with 64Gb memory.

• No text

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply