Effect of Parallelism on Peformance Counters!

• [font="Verdana"]

DMVs offer us performance counters; CPU/IO cost etc. If these are affected by Parallelism then what max till date (updated versions as well) we are sound enough to actually collect the ACTUAL expensive queries. Any strategy/Suggestion?

[/font]

• Sorry, I don't understand your question

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/20/2015)

Sorry, I don't understand your question

My apologies,

the queries which run on multiple processor cores (multi-threaded); if DMVs log their information correctly then fine, otherwise do we have any mechanism/queries which can actually log accurate results of their costs (CPU/IO etc)?

Do all DMVs shows information correctly either the query is multi-threaded or single thread?

• AFAIK, the DMVs show correct data.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Ok.

Please if i have confused due to this old post?

http://blog.calvett.co.uk/2011/05/05/parallelism-cpu-time-amp-dmv-s/

?

• But for getting the expensive queries you won't be using sys.dm_exec_requests (that shows currently running queries), so CPU not being displayed correctly in that one doesn't matter for your problem.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply