Effective way of migrating sql server 2000 to 2012

• Effective way of migrating sql server 2000 to 2012

without moving to sql server 2008 can we migrate ?

Thanks!!

• You can't go straight from 2000 to 2012. You'll need to either migrate 2000 to 2005 and then 2005 to 2012 or 2000 to 2008/2008 R2 and then 2008 to 2012

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Can we install sql server 2012 (32 bit) on Win XP

• No, XP is not supported for SQL 2012 ..

--

SQLBuddy

• Even for 32 bit?

• Are you looking for a means to install it for testing?

Even though it is not supported, you might be able to successfully install it.

I run developer edition of SQL 2012 on a Windows 7 box.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Checked Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2012 could not find Windows XP.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx

Have any one tried it?

• SQLRNNR (2/27/2014)

Are you looking for a means to install it for testing?

What exactly this line states?

Will be able to install and can't use the database

• yuvipoy (2/27/2014)

SQLRNNR (2/27/2014)

Are you looking for a means to install it for testing?

What exactly this line states?

Will be able to install and can't use the database

Supported means that Microsoft "supports" that configuration. I have installed SQL Server on non-supported platforms and been able to use it plenty of times.

But seriously, why install SQL Server 2012 on windows xp?

Learn Extended Events

• Supported means that Microsoft "supports" that configuration. I have installed SQL Server on non-supported platforms and been able to use it plenty of times.

If it is supported ,then why it is not there in the list provided by micrsoft.

Client needs the configuration with SQL Server 2012 on windows xp (if possible, else we would suggest other OS to client).

• yuvipoy (2/27/2014)

Client needs the configuration with SQL Server 2012 on windows xp (if possible, else we would suggest other OS to client).

I would suggest a server operating system for a database server, client OS should not be used for servers. Additionally XP is well out of support, no more patches, no more security fixes. Suggest a server OS, Windows Server 2008 R2 at the earliest, Windows Server 2012 preferably.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • yuvipoy (2/27/2014)

Supported means that Microsoft "supports" that configuration. I have installed SQL Server on non-supported platforms and been able to use it plenty of times.

If it is supported ,then why it is not there in the list provided by micrsoft.

What Jason stated was that SQL 2012 on Windows XP is not supported hence it is not on the list provided by Microsoft. He then gave a definition of what supported means.

• GilaMonster (2/28/2014)

yuvipoy (2/27/2014)

I would suggest a server operating system for a database server, client OS should not be used for servers. Additionally XP is well out of support, no more patches, no more security fixes. Suggest a server OS, Windows Server 2008 R2 at the earliest, Windows Server 2012 preferably.

Yeah, I agree. If for production then XP will not do and shouldn't even be considered.

As Gail said, you should be looking at minimum to install Windows 2008 R2 in combination with SQL Server 2012 for a production environment.

Only when it is for your own personal meandering and testing would XP, Win 7, Win 8 be a consideration.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply