Embedded double quotes when using double quotes as the text identifier in a csv file

• Hello All,

I am going to be able to import this format.

"A","Is this a ""valid"" file format"

"B","I don't ""think"" so"

My error is The column delimiter for column MyColumn was not found.

My flat file connection manager has " set as the text qualifier.

I have tried replace(MyColumn ,""","") in a data conversion.

Thaks so much to anyone who could help....

• Looks like you've just got nasty data issues. I would start with going after the knowns instead of the unknowns. Do a replace on ," with ,| then ", with |, . That gives you (strangely but functional) a column delimeter of (,) and a text qualifier of (|), letting you keep your quotes in the text itself and using two symbols that won't screw it up.

The problem with that is that if you have ", or ," inside the regular text field(s), it'll end up with some similar problems, just less of them. That might have to go to manual cleanup for the ones this catches inaccurately, but it'll do the bulk for you.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• I don't know about SSIS, but certainly you can read the file using OPENROWSET BULK

SELECT col1, col2 FROM OPENROWSET (BULK 'C:\sample.txt', FORMATFILE = 'C:\sample.fmt') AS Z

sample.fmt

1 SQLCHAR 0 0 "\"" 0 Quote

2 SQLCHAR 0 0 "\",\"" 1 col1

3 SQLCHAR 0 0 "\"\r\n" 2 col2

• I am not very familiar with OPENROWSET BULK.

I also should have mentioned that not every record would have embedded quotes. The following would be more representative.

"C","Nothing embedded"

Do you think OPENROWSET BULK would work given the additional sample data I have provided?

• emily-1119612 (9/7/2010)

I am not very familiar with OPENROWSET BULK.

I also should have mentioned that not every record would have embedded quotes. The following would be more representative.

"C","Nothing embedded"

Do you think OPENROWSET BULK would work given the additional sample data I have provided?

How about pre-processing the file? Just replace "" with ' (for example) and then continue with , as column delimiter and " as text qualifier as you feed the file into your DF.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• emily-1119612 (9/7/2010)

I am not very familiar with OPENROWSET BULK.

"C","Nothing embedded"

steve-893342 (9/3/2010)

I don't know about SSIS, but certainly you can read the file using OPENROWSET BULK

SELECT col1, col2 FROM OPENROWSET (BULK 'C:\sample.txt', FORMATFILE = 'C:\sample.fmt') AS Z

sample.fmt

1 SQLCHAR 0 0 "\"" 0 Quote

2 SQLCHAR 0 0 "\",\"" 1 col1

3 SQLCHAR 0 0 "\"\r\n" 2 col2

Yes OPENROWSET BULK works absolutely fine using the statement I gave above

• How about pre-processing the file? Just replace "" with ' (for example) and then continue with , as column delimiter and " as text qualifier as you feed the file into your DF.

Is this typically done by calling an outside executable?

• I'd do it using a script task - no outside EXE needed. How big is the file likely to be, roughly? There is, of course, a performance overhead doing it this way and if your file is huge it might be better to try and deal with it all in one pass.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• How big is the file likely to be, roughly?

Less than a mb and I only need to process monthly so performance is not an issue. I have complained to my 'partner' and they may be able to fix this or more like provide an alternate file type. I'll followup if I need help with the preprocessing strategy. Thanks!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply