EMC SAN Solution & SQL Server 2000

• All:

I am performing some research on a SAN solution that the company has purchased for the SQL Server(NT) & Oracle(Unix) Databases in the company.

The SAN is a Symmetrix 8530.

I am trying to research how to configure SQL Server 2000 to it.

Per BOL: SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition introduces support for System Area Network (SAN) protocols built using the Virtual Interface Architecture (VIA).

BOL END

I have been trying to research on Microsoft's site, and EMC's site, but I have not had any luck regarding configuration.

Has anyone configured SQL Server to communicate with an EMC SAN Solution? What was involved, software requird.

Sincerely,

Audie Wright

• You should be able to just place the data files on the SAN and set the proper pathing (if the SAN can be addressed as a \\server\share.

As far as something specific, look over these:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q180/6/49.ASP

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q304261

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Steve: I appreciate your input, I've followed your articles for some time on swynk, and here.

I have seen the KB articles mentioned. What I am after is how the configuration works. If the SAN box can be seen as \\servername\share, then this will work with the trace flag 1807. I have a hunch that it is not going to be that simple.

If you look in BOL @ Features supported by editions of SQL Server 2000, you see mention of System Area Networks (SAN) for the enterprise edition. If it were \\servername\share, then I could use any edition I chose. Why mention that only the enterprise edition is supported?

Take into a fileserver example (IF the SAN box can create shares). Server, "ServerA" has a mapped drive E that is \\EMCSAN\Fileshare

From computer "PCA", I cannot map Drive E on "SERVERA". Windows does not allow it. If "ServerA" was share a drive that corresponded to the SAN, Drive E would have to appear as a "real" drive to "PCA" for mapping.

I am thinking that either the OS (NT, or W2K) creates a drive that appears to be a real drive. I would then create the database(s) on drives E:\, F:\, G:\, H:\ (etc). If so how?

Or in the "create database " SQL statement, the filename = points to a virtual device that relates to a SAN LUN.

• Interesting. I have to admin I have no experience, but I would think that EMC could provide some guidence. I interviewed with a company that had an EMC array on SQL 7, so I know it worked (it was a bank), but never saw the setup.

Hopefully someone else will respond or you will get other help. I'd appreciate a followup if you can.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• We use a Dell Powervault, which is just EMC/DG rebranded. It shows up as a logical drive - all the set up is done through a utility provided with the cabinet. Small one, only 10 disks - but works good!

Andy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply