Enabling Netwok DTC access

• Hi,

I'm trying to connect a SQL Server instance from managementstudio using SA account but I'm getting the below error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 53)

I already enabled remote connections

Is the above error due to NOT enabling Netwok DTC access? please see the attachment

• I suggest you should visit Surface Area Configuration tool and enable the remote connections for SQL Server.

---

Paul Svirin

StarWind Software developer ( http://www.starwindsoftware.com )

• hi psvirin,

I suggest you should visit Surface Area Configuration tool and enable the remote connections for SQL Server

As I mentioned, I have already enabled the remote connections for SQL Server via Surface Area Configuration tool

But still I have the same problem. Before enabling the Network DTC access(from Component services->Computer->Mycomputer->properties->MSDTC->Security configuration->Network DTC access and there enable all remote connections), I want to make sure whether it is required or NOT?

thanks

• rambilla4 (10/27/2009)

hi psvirin,

I suggest you should visit Surface Area Configuration tool and enable the remote connections for SQL Server

As I mentioned, I have already enabled the remote connections for SQL Server via Surface Area Configuration tool

But still I have the same problem. Before enabling the Network DTC access(from Component services->Computer->Mycomputer->properties->MSDTC->Security configuration->Network DTC access and there enable all remote connections), I want to make sure whether it is required or NOT?

thanks

Error code 53 often indicates that the server is not reachable from the client machine. If you run the following two commands on the client machine, what do you get (I assume the server is installed as a default intsnace):

telnet <serverMachineName> 1433

ping <serverMachineName>

Rambilla4,

Your error is not related to MSDTC because error 40, 53 means the server cannot be reached which some times means your server is down but that is not your situation so check to see if something is blocking SQL Server like firewall and other restrictions.

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/09/28/474698.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply