Encrypting emails using xp_sendmail

• Hi,

We have this problem, we already generated passwords in SQL and send it to the user automatically . But the problem that we have is that how can we encrypt the mails that we send to the users, by still using the RSA Keon.

Thanks in Advance.

Best regards,

MCVILBAR

• xp_sendmail in and of itself isn't going to do this. It'll interface with the Outlook client, but to my knowledge, there's no direct way to flag a message to out as encrypted. And since SQL Server has no access to the public keys of the mail recipients, there's not a way within SQL Server to do the encryption beforehand.

It's been a while since I played with things like this, but it may be possible to configure the Outlook profile to auto-encrypt (and sign, if you need that, too) the email message. However, I don't remember off hand. That's where I'd start looking if the encryption is a requirement (and it sounds like it is). But be advised that this will encrypt all emails going out from that client.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• how about .net coding? I think this would be possible and since we are using the RSA Keon Web Passport. My problem is how will I code it in .net.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,

Maria

• One option is to write an extended stored procedure using Visual C++. You could then call the extended stored procedure from within SQL Server to generate the email. If you go the .NET application route, drop the email send off in a table within SQL Server then have a SQL Server Agent or Task Scheduler job run every couple of minutes or so which calls your program. Your program reads from the table and then generates the emails.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply