Enforce Hash Join, but not with a hint?

• Hi,

the optimizer uses a loop join where i wish to get a hash join.

the tables have clustered indexes on the right columns and the statistics of the indexes have to be up-to-date as i recreated them.

If I use the hint "inner hash join" the query performs well, if i let the optimizer decide, it performs really bad with a loop join.

What should i check next, if i want to let the optimizer get the ideal plan?

Thank you,

Tobias

• You need to check a few things.

Do you have good indexes that the optimiser can use.

Do you have good statistics that the optimizer can use.

Could post your table definition , index definition and query and if possible the query plan saved as a .sqlplan file

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • Highly likely it's a statistics problem. If SQL estimates a small number of rows it's likely to use a loop join.

Please post query and exec plan (without hash join hint)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I attached the query and the plan and also the query with the hint, so you can see, where the problem is.

the following cix did not help:

create UNIQUE clustered index cix_aggregationsebenen_aufloesung_rf

on transformation.var_aggregationsebenen_aufloesung_rf(datenversion, kfg_zeitpunkt, master_exclude_zeitpunkt, fk_aggregationsebene, fk_risikofaktor)

on [FG_Data]

• I'll look at the plans later. Just one thing now. That's a very big clustered index. Clustered indexes should be as narrow as possible because they're included in every nonclustered index. I don't know how big the columns are, but 5 columns is usually a bit much for the cluster.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Hi Gail,

When you say that a Clustered index is included in every non-clustered index, what do you mean by this?

Do you have where I could read up about this and test it out for performance?

I've thought that queries run slowly with large clustered indexes and then after adding a small non-clustered to run fast or is that not correct?

----------------------------------------------
    Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. - Thomas Henry Huxley

:w00t:
    Posting Best Practices[/url]
    Numbers / Tally Tables[/url]

SQL-4-Life
  • Christopher Stobbs (5/15/2009)

When you say that a Clustered index is included in every non-clustered index, what do you mean by this?

The clustering key is the row's identifier. Hence it is part of every single nonclustered index. That means that a NC index can never be smaller than the cluster.

Wasn't really the point of the article, but - http://sqlinthewild.co.za/index.php/2009/02/09/all-indexes-are-unique/

Gail Shaw

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply