enterprise manager

• Hi,

I have installed Visual Studio.net 2003 which installs the developer version of SQL2000.

It does not install Enterprise Manager (at least I can't find it).

How can I get Enterprise Manager? 

I thought it might be on an evaluation CD for SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition which I have but I could not determine how to install EM without installing another version of SQL on the machine (especially a demo version). Is there a way to get EM without a new install?

thanks.

• Start | Run | mmc

Console | Open | C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn

Select 'SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC'

That should do the trick.

Or, you could make a shortcut to C:\WINNT\system32\mmc.exe /s "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC"

• VS.NET doesn't come with Developer Edition SQL 2000.  It comes with MSDE (Desktop Edition) 2000, which does not include EM.

One work around is, pay $50 and get the Developer Edition of SQL 2000.

Or learn how to get by using Server Explorer inside the VS.NET IDE.

Greg

• you can install (client tools) which include EM from any SQL Server CD .. by moving in installation as you make a server .. but choose (client tools)

I hope this help u if you need EM .. but you can see your Server and all things in your DB by making connection in your VS.net project

I hope this help u

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Does the license allow that?

• of couse not ... MSDE is free .. but in SQL Server 2000 Developer you pay many to get licence (per seat [cheap] or per server)

Alamir Mohamed
    Alamir_mohamed@yahoo.com

• Not following you.  SQL Server 2000 Developer price has dropped last year to less than $50.  I don't think it matters per seat or per server for that version.

I read elsewhere on this forum that if you have a copy of SQL 2000 (any version) you can use EM with MSDE freely.  Not sure if that is just remotely, or if you are allowed to install it on the same machine as MSDE.  

Bottom line, spend $50 and get Develper Edition.

Greg

• Thanks. I installed client tools from the CD.

Works great.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply