Enterprise to Express??

• Greetz!

I have a small database that currently lives on an instance of SQL Server 2005 Enterprise. Is it possible to do a back up and restore to a new instance of SQL Server 2008 Express? Is it possible to move it in some other manner?

My hunch is you would have to export the data in sql statements but I'm a newb so ...

Thank you!

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• As long as the DB doesn't use any persisted enterprise-only features (partitioning, compression) and is below the Express size limit, you can backup/restore.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes.

keep in mind what functionality your database currently uses (enterprise features) for you might lose some by moving to express.

backup/restore is probably the easiest way to do it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• You guys are amazing! Thanks so much!

Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings;

• I could have sworn that there was a function you could run to see if any enterprise features are being used but I can't track it down. If you try the restore and have any that are being used the restore will error at the end.

• cfradenburg (7/22/2011)

I could have sworn that there was a function you could run to see if any enterprise features are being used but I can't track it down.

sys.dm_db_persisted_sku_features

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply