Enterprise version of SSIS & Standard Database Engine

• I have a box with a Standard install of SQL 2005. In order to reduce a perceived risk the business would rather not upgrade to Enterprise at this time. However in order to make use of SSIS in any meaningful way (in my limited opinion) you must have the Enterprise install of SSIS.

So what I am asking is can SSIS be upgraded from Standard to Enterprise without upgradeing anything else on the server.

Thanks

Kenneth

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• Actually no because most ETL tasks are in Advanced transform and all those are in Enteprise edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/Sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I am curious - what features in SSIS Enterprise do you see as vital to your systems and processes? I am running several processes using Standard Edition with no problems.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Gift Peddie,

That was actually why I was asking. I want the Enterprise version of SSIS so I can do the Advanced transform but don't want to upgrade the existing Standard Instances.

Jeffrey,

Specifically Derived Columns, Lookups and Scripts. Not as important but helpful is the ability to run legacy DTS packages. Really anything beyond a very basic Database -> Text File or back seems to be impossible without Enterprise. If you know a way to handle these tasks with Standard that would be great!

Thanks

Kenneth

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• According to this document http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2005/en/us/compare-features.aspx - I don't see where you cannot do any of the things you are trying to do.

I have used all of those items in the Standard edition with no problems at all.

Jeffrey Williams

• This would seem to come down to MS's definition of 'standard' and 'advanced' transforms - has anyone seen them listed/categorised one by one?

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• What I found if you are running Standard you can import your DTS packages and create packages similar DTS but nothing more all ETL require the Enterprise edition. So the Standard is just to enable upgrade from 2000.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (4/23/2009)

What I found if you are running Standard you can import your DTS packages and create packages similar DTS but nothing more all ETL require the Enterprise edition. So the Standard is just to enable upgrade from 2000.

Not true at all - using BIDS you have access to a whole range of components for creating ETL processes. I have personally used merge joins, unions, derived columns, lookups and sorts within multiple data flows in a single project.

This whole process extracted more than 40 separate tables from the source system using various transformations and loaded into the destination system that was running SQL Server 2005 Standard - and ran on the same system.

I have not found anything (yet) that I have not been able to do.

Jeffrey Williams

• Not true at all - using BIDS you have access to a whole range of components for creating ETL processes. I have personally used merge joins, unions, derived columns, lookups and sorts within multiple data flows in a single project.

I have run DTS packages that move data real time from DB2 AS400 to SQL Server 2000 so I don't think what you are doing is much better than DTS. However the SSIS site says basic is hash description because it can do more so you could be right.

http://www.sqlis.com/post/SQL-Server-Editions-and-Integration-Services.aspx

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Here is a direct quotation from "Professional SQL Server 2005 Integration Services" regarding this:

As for SSIS, you'll have to use at least Standard Edition to receive the bulk of the SSIS features. In the Express and Workgroup Editions, only the Import and Export Wizard is available to you. You'll have to upgrade to Enterprise or Developer Edition to see some features in SSIS. The following advanced transformations are available only with Enterprise Edition:

Analysis Services Partition Processing Destination

Analysis Services Dimension Processing Destination

Data Mining Training Destination

Data Mining Query Component

Fuzzy Grouping

Fuzzy Lookup

Term Extraction

Term Lookup

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I don't think that is a better source than Jeffrey who is running solution with it and the experts at SSIS.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Gift Peddie (4/23/2009)

I don't think that is a better source than Jeffrey who is running solution with it and the experts at SSIS.

Huh??? The quotation backs up what Jeffrey says.

• The advanced transforms only available with Enterprise edition:

Data Mining Training Destination

Data Mining Query Component

Fuzzy Grouping

Fuzzy Lookup

Term Extraction

Term Lookup

Dimension Processing Destination

Partition Processing Destination

The advanced tasks only available with Enterprise edition:

Data Mining Query Task

We are saying the same thing but the above is more features than what you posted for the Enterprise edition.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• None of the items in that list of advanced features is needed for the bulk of SSIS tasks - so you appear to be contradicting yourself.

Eg, from one of your earlier posts:

What I found if you are running Standard you can import your DTS packages and create packages similar DTS but nothing more all ETL require the Enterprise edition. So the Standard is just to enable upgrade from 2000.

• No I would not say I am contradicting myself because I have corrected that statement before you posted the smaller features from the book. And for ETL most of the features in that list are needed for large operations.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply