equivalent for rownum

• Mazharuddin Ehsan (9/11/2009)

Let us say I have a flat file containg rows of data and I want to uplaod the file to a database table with an additional column comprising of the line number as it is appearing in the text file.

:blink: ok, lets go back to the basics.

#1... Poster wanted to know how to replicate Oracle's "rownum" functionality in SQL Server - lets forget for a minute "rownum" doesn't work the way Poster thinks it work.

#2... Since "rownum" is nothing but a pseudo-column populated at the time rows are made available to the user as a result of a "select" statement... don't you think it's a little over reaching the load-a-text-file scenario? 😀

I feel like this is one of those cases where people try to justify anything resorting to no-matter-how-weird-and-far-away-from-reality justification - like changing the original post just to make fit an answer 😉

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB (9/13/2009)

Mazharuddin Ehsan (9/11/2009)

Let us say I have a flat file containg rows of data and I want to uplaod the file to a database table with an additional column comprising of the line number as it is appearing in the text file.

:blink: ok, lets go back to the basics.

#1... Poster wanted to know how to replicate Oracle's "rownum" functionality in SQL Server - lets forget for a minute "rownum" doesn't work the way Poster thinks it work.

#2... Since "rownum" is nothing but a pseudo-column populated at the time rows are made available to the user as a result of a "select" statement... don't you think it's a little over reaching the load-a-text-file scenario? 😀

I feel like this is one of those cases where people try to justify anything resorting to no-matter-how-weird-and-far-away-from-reality justification - like changing the original post just to make fit an answer 😉

At least now we know what is rownum at last.:-)

More seriously,

1. Actually rownum as it works in Oracle is not required at all in SQL Server as there are many numbering functions available like row_number(), rank() and "TOP" clause. As some one said earlier in this thread 'usage is the key', there is nothing that 'cannot' be solved using these features about dynamically number rows in a SELECT Transact-SQL statement.

In fact one of the practical usage of rownum in Oracle is Top-N Query.

2. If we are really required to create an emulation of rownum 'as it is' in Oracle, for some reason then also it can be done for sure, I beleive in SQl Server. I just gave a quick example. Some people in this thread pointed to some inhibitions in my solution. I can cement it to produce same guarented result as rownum if really required. May be I will not do it for free now 😀

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------[font=Arial Black]Time Is Money[/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed since a Point of Time[/url][/font][font=Arial Narrow]Calculating the Number of Business Hours Passed Between Two Points of Time[/font]

• Mazharuddin Ehsan (9/14/2009)Actually rownum as it works in Oracle is not required at all in SQL Server

yes... Yes... YES! you got my vote for President! 😀

Not to mention original poster expected rownum to do in Oracle something totally different at what it actually does. Go figure.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply