ERD modeling tool

• Does anyone have any recommendations on a ERD modeling tool? These are the requirements based on which a decision needs to be made:

Our database (SQL SERVER)is huge - around 750 tables (with triggers on a lot of them), 2500 SPs etc to give an idea of the size. We want to create a ERD of the existent tables/database. Kind of reverse modeling (NOTE we are not wanting to create a diagram for a new database)

The KEY ISSUE is that our database does NOT have any foreign keys at this time. The process most likely to be followed for the creation of this diagram is:

Plot tables on diagram. Create links MANUALLY between two tables if they are Joined in Trigger/SP. This obviously requisites investigating trigger - code etc. When a table is dropped on the diagram - it should show all the columns of the table and also primary key columns by a simple drag-drop (not having to name columns/primary keys manually). Also essential is ease of update when our database gets upgraded.

The diagram once developed, needs to be made available to clients via - printouts/uploading a image file of the diagram to a server etc.

Rational is not a choice neither is any with a node locked license feature. Most likely one which can be installed on a accessible server. Pricing is not really an issue.

Thanks in advance,

• I would take a look at ERWin (made by Computer Associates)...I've used it in the past to reverse engineer Oracle, SQL Server and Sybase databases of varying sizes and have had good experiences with it.

The CA website has a pretty extensive section on ERWin -- suggest you take a look.

• If pricing is not an issue, go for ER\Studio from Embarcadero. Very functional, very quick.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• You can also use MS Visio

Bye
    Gabor

• I'd also recommend ERwin - very good for reverse engineering. Not particularly cheap though!

• The last time I used ERWin was version 4.1 and it was a real dogs breakfast. After losing my model about 2-3 times due to crashes, I got into the habit of saving every 5-10 mins. That way I didn't lose too much work.

We got a number of patches/hotfixes from CA, but they just seemed to makes things more unstable.

Have no idea what the later versions of the product are like.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Silverrun is another tool that you can use

• Thanks everybody for all of your suggestions. I'll check into each of them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply