Error 1053 on reinstall of SQL 2000

• For reasons that don't bear going into, I recently uninstalled SQL 2000 SP4 from my server.  On attempting to reinstall, I received the following in my sqlstp.log:

#####################################################

Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

An error occurred while attempting to start the service (1053)

SQL Server configuration failed.

######################################################

The installation stopped when trying to start the service for configuration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've spent the better part of two days on this already.

Stuart Nottingham

• This may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322140

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Unfortunately, it doesn't even get that far in the install.  SQLservr.exe isn't even there.

• Well, if sqlservr.exe is missing it sounds like you may have uninstalled SQL server itself and not just the service pack.  Or it's possible you may have disk corruption that's accounting for the missing files.  Check your server event logs and make sure you're not getting any kind of errors from the disk subsystem. 

If I were in this situation once I verified the disks were okay, I'd first copy my user and system database files and/or the most recent back ups off to a safe location, then run a full re-install of SQL Server.  Then, you'll need to apply the most recent service pack level (if you didn't want SP4 on there, go to at least SP3a as that will include some critical hot fixes).

Finally, you'll need to restore your databases starting with Master and the system DBs, then last restore your user databases.  There are some special considerations with restoring system databases and there is a good discussion of this topic here:  http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=24&messageid=259951  At the end of the thread, there are also some Microsoft links which shoud be of great help.

Best of luck.

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply