Error 15023 User or role already exists

• Had a hard disk failure on our development machine. Recovered the database file and attached this on a new drive but now get the above message when I try to add a user.

I have deleted the user manually and also using the drop procedure.

How can I reinstate users?

• In preparation to moving my server files to new array, I had to move one database from one server to another. When I tried to add users to the database after the move, I couldn't as they 'already existed.' Luckily I had read about Orphaned Users in this site and others.

You need to run the following command in the database you are trying to add the user:

exec sp_revokedbaccess 'login'

or if it's a domain account

exec sp_revokedbaccess 'domain\login'

Then you will be able to add the user or role back in.

-SQLBill

• Run the following while you are in ur recovered database.

sp_change_users_login 'auto_fix',user

Try this.

Shamshad Ali.

• That's a better answer. Bill, if you do the revokedblogin, you have to reset the permissions. SP_Change_users_login will fix the problem more directly. Lot's of information on the site about it.

StefanJ, this will happen anytime you move an mdf to a new server if you don't do some extra work. One way is the track you're on, add the user, then run sp_change_users_login. A better way is to use sp_addlogin to add the login first with the same SID as on the original server where the mdf came from. Then when you attach everything will line up.

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

• Many thanks for the replies.

I am a bit new to SQL Server so excuse the dumb questions.

Tried shamshad solution which did the trick. Just a case of running for each user and then resetting the password from null.

I will shortly be getting a proper server, we are currently using a standard pc as a test machine.

I noted Andy's comments and also read the faq "Fixing broken logins and transferring passwords" but am not entirely clear on the steps I should follow to transfer a database from one server to another and preserve the logins.

If I understand correctly the user ids will transfer OK when I detach and reattach the database file. But somehow I have to transfer the logins, SID, User ID, passwords from the old to the new servers.

Is there a straightforward (idiot proof), step by step instruction for doing this?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply