Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 11 - OS Auth not working

• I have a SS2005 Std, sp3 running on a Win2003 Ent OS, 4g Ram, 2-dual core CPU.

I inherited this server and was in the process of cleaning sercurity up before Audit gets a hold of it. The vendor setup SQL Server and installed their application 6-7 months ago. I found out that all the accounts (2 for the app, and 3 for end user reports) all have Sysadmin. All are domain accounts setup to authenticate to the database. If you remove the Sysadmin from them you get:

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 11.

2009-01-30 13:40:24.01 Logon Login failed for user 'FNxxxx\7xxx'. [CLIENT: 10.xxx.xx.21]

I thought it was an applicatin issue, until I created my domain account, gave me read only access and it does the same thing connecting from SS EM05. If you create a sql server account, I can connect and query with SS EM05 with no problem.

Both the application and SS EM05 produce the same error when OS auth is attempted and the account does not have SysAdmin.

I have been through many articles and can't find the crutch of the problem or the solution.

Thanks,

Joseph

• I have read many articles. I have tried :

dropping and re-creating login/user

making sure the default database is propperly set

make sure "simple file sharing" is disabled

thanks,

Joseph

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply