Error 42000 on restore, SQL Server 2000

• I'm trying to restore a database, when a table got dropped.

We have a full backup from 5 days ago, and diffs and transactionals.

I'm getting an error, "SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)"
    "The log in this backup set begins at LSN" Big number "which is too late to apply to the database."

and it says for me to use a lower number, yet we have no other transactionals.

we do not push them to a second SQL Server (log shipping) we create the backup file, and the physically backup those files to media.

We only have one maintence plan running for it, and no one is at the company to be connecting to it to interfere.  It attempts to back up the full runs, the differential runs, then 3 transactionals, then it crashes with the error above.

What do I do?  HELP
  • Follow this order while restoring the database.

1. Restore your full database backup

2. Restore your last differential backup

3. restore your transactional logs in a one by one in increasing time order.

You should be able to restore the database without any problems if u do this way.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• I used SQL Server Enterprise Manager, which does that for you automatically, but it still didn't work unfortunatelly.

currently I'm running with an older version of the one table that was missing, and have that table (an older version) installed there.

This is obviously not ideal, and is causing problems, so any help would be appreciated
  • problem solved, permissions issue

• Hi, can I ask please what the permissions issue was and what you did to fix it as I am having a similar problem to what you described above with the same type of setup (i.e. no log shipping, one maintenance plan etc)? Thanks

• at this point with as long ago as that was, I don't remember what I did.

I have however discovered if you have a maintence Job set up, do not under any circumstance manually process a backup. (right clicking the database in Management Studio or Enterprise Manager) Tasks -- Backup

If you do a manual backup, as opposed to launching the backup from the Job in Server Agent, you will mess up the LSN numbers stored in the msdb database (I think it's msdb it stores it) and then any backups that process between when you did that and your next full backup, will not work.

The system records the beginning and ending record number and if that changes then it thinks you're missing one, and wont' let you process them.

I hope this makes sense, and I hope everything works for you (PS I am not doing Log Shipping, so there may be some things you can do to help you there.)

• Thanks for the reply. I'll give it another try. Fortunately its not very urgent, just doing some testing on how we would get back up and running should anything go belly up on the prodction db. Thanks again

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply