Error: 823, Severity :24, state:3 I/O error 33

• Hi DBA's

I am getting the error like as

"Error: 823, Severity :24, state:3 I/O error 33"

The Process cannot access the file because another process has locked a portion of the file

So pls give the solution for this

It's very urgent

Thanks

Indian_sumesh

• I have just done a search on BOL and it gave the following info:

Error 823

Severity Level 24
    Message Text

I/O error %ls detected during %S_MSG at offset %#016I64x in file '%ls'.

Explanation

Microsoft® SQL Server™ encountered an I/O error on a read or write request made to a device. This error usually indicates disk problems. However, additional kernel messages in the error log, recorded before error 823, should indicate which device is involved.

Action

Check the accessibility and condition of the device in question.

Run hardware diagnostics and correct problems, if possible.

Restore damaged files from the latest database backup. Restoring from a database backup should always be considered the primary means of fixing a damaged database.

If you don't have a backup or if the errors detected are very isolated, the repair functionality of DBCC CHECKDB may be useful. However, using DBCC CHECKDB can be more time consuming than restoring the damaged files from a backup, and you may not be able to recover all your data .

Caution  If running DBCC CHECKDB with one of the repair clauses does not correct the problem or if you are unsure how this process may affect your data, contact your primary support provider.

I would check the DBCC CHECKDB command because you may be as well to run it with the physical only option set while the db is being used.  If you get a spare few hours after business it might be better to run the full DBCC CHECKDB command.

From my own knowledge I think this may indicate a Split Page in the DB, check the lines just before the error in the SQL Server Error Log as this should indicate the problem database.

Hope this helps

Regards

Carl

• Thanks Carl for your reply

I will check this and if have any prob.

i will contact u

Regards

Indian_sumesh

• You should also check the following:

-if any backup software is running a file level backup of Your databasefiles (mdf,ldf,ndf)

-if any antivirus software is scanning Your databasefiles

Both could prevent (by placing exclusive locks on the files in the filesystem) SQL Server from accessing the underlying datafiles and I've seen this happen before.

\hplu

• I had the same problem with one of my database and I restarted the service of SQL Server and it worked, I think it is not a problem of the database.:D

• Hi Carl,

i am getting only I/O error 33 when i am trying to import the data

how i can solve this problem

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply