Error: 8646

• I'm getting the following error in the Errorlog when we try to run a delete query which inner joins two tables. In the query analyzer output sections, it simply shows connection broken however the errorlog shows:

The index entry for row ID  was not found in index ID 5, of table 1481772336, in database 'databasename'..

Error: 8646, Severity: 21, State: 1

We were able to identify the table so we are running DBCC CHECKTABLE to see if there are any problems. It has been running for 4 hours already. It's a big table with 10.5 million rows which is about 13GB.

Questions:

(1) Is it normal DBCC CHECKTABLE running for more than 4 hours ?

(2) Have you had the same problem before and how you fixed it ?

Thanks for help,

JJEN

• Hi Jjen,

to answer your questions

1) Yes, it's not unusual to take that long on a large table. Also it will depend on the options you choose whith DBCC CHECKTABLE.

2) I had similar problems a cople of times and I solved them with either DBCC CHECKDB or CHECKTABLE and one of the repair options. Anyhow I recommend making a backup first.

Good luck

M

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

• Thanks for your reply.

I didn't use any option in the DBCC CHECKTABLE. It ran for 24 hr that I've to kill it. Then I ran dbcc checkdb ('databasename', NOINDEX) with PHYSICAL_ONLY just to make sure the physical pages and pointers are ok. Thank God, no errors. Next, I ran DBCC DBREINDEX (tablename, '', 80) to rebuild all the indexes of the table that have problem.

After rebuilding the indexes, I did not have any problem executing the query that I mentioned before.

-jjen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply