ERROR: A time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch

• I have a SQL Server 2005 Server (32bit) running SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition and SP3.

The Server is a 4 Processor box (Two Dual core CPU's) - each processor at 2.87 GZh

I have 16MB of RAM and three Instances running - one Default and two named.

In my default instance only, I have been seeing this error Intermittently :

A time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch -- type 4,

bp 02DA3904, page 1:18248, stat 0x1c0000b, database id: 2,

allocation unit Id: 141667044818944/423142021529600, task 0x00B851F8 :

0, waittime 300, flags 0x80039, owning task 0x008D9E28.

Not continuing to wait.

The error is always associated with Database ID 2. The Database itself appears healthy and I have not had any complaints of permformance issues.

in googling this error, I found things like:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941695/941450 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941450/LN/ ) where this error is fixed with Cumulative update package 4 for SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 2 (I am already at SP3

-

I also found (in this forum) where there was an incompatiblity issue with a certain version of Diskeeper - we are not running diskkeeper.

--

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310834 indicates that it could be a setup problem, hardware problem, ... all very generic ...

I'm not sure what to make of this error and how to begin addressing it- Can anyone shed some light on this for me???

• Along with a bunch more of these errors,

A time-out occurred while waiting for buffer latch -- type 4, bp 03675BE4, page 1:18272, stat 0x3c0400f, database id: 2, allocation unit Id: 141667044818944/423142021529600, task 0x00B853D8 : 0, waittime 300, flags 0x80039, owning task 0x008D9E28. Not continuing to wait.

I also got these errors this morning..

Exception raised in IO Completion Routine. See errorlog for more details

External dump process return code 0x20000001.

External dump process returned no errors.

Stack Signature for the dump is 0x56C2C8E5

The errors all seems very generic.. can anyone shed any light??

• We used to get these when multiple i/o intense jobs were running at the same time. In my case, I was able to reschedule the sql job to avoid the network maintenance window and they've gone away. hih

• occasionally do the timeouts occur when the TLOG backups are running.. These TLOG backups only run once every 2 hours. and sometimes the timeout errors occur when there is no minatenance running. The only other maintenance I have scheduled are nightly full backups and weekly DBREindex which also updates Statistics..

• Attaching latest "BUGCHECK Dump"

anyone?

• Check that your tempdb is not set as 1MB default and increase the tempdb size to a reasonable size.

• Check your system event log for anything resembling a hardware error referencing a controller or disk drives.

Here's an example:

"SCSI bus fault occurred on Storage Box box 0, , Port 0 of

Array Controller in slot 1.

This may result in a "downshift" in transfer rate for one or more hard drives on the bus."

• I do not see any errors in the log relative to the I\O sub-system and today I performed an exhaustive set of diagnostics on the Disk arrays with NO errors.

I will concentrate on tuning my TEMPDB - Since this is a production box, I will have to make any changes on our Dev box first..

• i love sql server central ... John you nailed it for me ... checked my system log ... a CRAP load of iscsi port errors. i ALWAYS forget to check that.

😎

• I've had a case open with Microsoft since Monday - they have been on the box everyday gathering logs and poking around.. seems they are baffled too.. I'll let you know the outcome

• Basically this was the fix:

Enabled LPIM (Lock Pages in Memory) Policy on the Server for the Domain Account which starts the Services,

Applied Hotfix Cummulative update 4 (post SP3) to Default Instance only

Made the following configuration changes to the default Instance only:

EXEC sp_configure'Show Advanced Options',0;

GO

RECONFIGURE;

GO

EXEC sp_configure'awe enabled',1

go

reconfigure with override;

go

exec sp_configure'max server memory (MB)',8192;

go

reconfigure with override;

GO

EXEC sp_configure'Show Advanced Options',0;

GO

RECONFIGURE;

GO

This is a 32 bit system with 16GB of RAM and 3 Instances (Default and 2 named)

These configuration changes should allow the Default Instance to use up to 8GB of RAM (I believe)

Are there any commands to show how much memory the instance(s) are actually using?

• To check how much your sql instance is using and how much it wants, go look at the perfmon counters under the SQL Server : memory management group called total server memory and target server memory. This will tell you if SQL wants more than you are allowing it to have.

• Thank you

• Hi, I'm running the same problem in a SQL Server 2008 Box.

I believe that is a performance / index fragmentation issue, because this database is around 11 TB.

I would like to know how did you fix this issue.

Regards

Eduardo Pin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply