Error Collection XP_Sendmail

• Morning,

I have a number of DTS packages that use cursors to extract and manipulate data and finally use xp_sendmail to email the results to either single people or groups of people.

Occassionally I get an error and the job History advises me that that there was a problem resolving @recipient. When a number of Emails have been sent it is difficult to identify to which Email this error refers.

What i want to do is introduce some error checking so that if an error is returned then the addressee details are sent to me in another Email. I have experimented with using @@error after the call to xp_sendmail, but this returns a 0 (no error) even when I send in a false Email address via @recipient.

Anybody have a thoughts on this? As ever, thank you for yourtime and comments.

Colin

• Have you looked at a return value..

DECLARE @retval int

EXEC @retval = master.dbo.xp_sendmail ........

SELECT retval = @retval

CEWII

• Hi,

Yes, have tried the following and it returns 0 even though the Emai addresss is incorrect. No warning Email received.

DECLARE @Retval int

EXEC @Retval = MASTER..XP_SENDMAIL

@RECIPIENTS = 'colllin.betteley@aecom.com',

@SUBJECT = 'Error Testing',

@MESSAGE = 'Error Testing'

IF @Retval 0

BEGIN

EXEC MASTER..XP_SENDMAIL

@RECIPIENTS = 'colin.betteley@aecom.com',

@SUBJECT = 'EMAIL TEST ERROR',

@MESSAGE = 'EMAIL TEST ERROR'

END

• I'm really surprised by that, I have code that does exactly that and I have received the failure mail..

CEWII

• Hi,

Extended the code - which I run in QA for testing, as follows. The final SELECT shows a 0 so the error code is being returned is being returned. Does my code work when you run in QA? Thanks.

DECLARE @Retval int

SET @Retval = 1

EXEC @Retval = MASTER..XP_SENDMAIL

@RECIPIENTS = 'colllin.betteley@aecom.com',

@SUBJECT = 'Error Testing',

@MESSAGE = 'Error Testing'

IF @Retval 0

BEGIN

EXEC MASTER..XP_SENDMAIL

@RECIPIENTS = 'colin.betteley@aecom.com',

@SUBJECT = 'EMAIL TEST ERROR',

@MESSAGE = @Retval

END

SELECT @Retval

• I've actually used the @return = xp_sendmail... in a sproc which reports errors, so it does work. However, I think the problem you're running into is that xp_sendmail is reporting success since it was able to pass the message off to the mail server. The mail server is what would report an invalid file and you can't trap for that. Having said that, I have access to the mailbox associated with the mapi used by xp_sendmail, and I monitor that mailbox for undeliverable messages from sysadmin. hth

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply