Error creating alert from T-SQL

• When I run the following query which came right out of BOL, I get this error -- "Server: Msg 14262, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_verify_alert, Line 76

The specified @message_id ('55001') does not exist."

USE msdb

EXEC sp_add_alert @name = 'Test Alert', @message_id = 55001,

@severity = 0,

@notification_message = 'Error 55001 has occurred. The database will

be backed up...',

@job_name = 'Back up the Customer Database'

Any ideas?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I need some help on this one too.  The lease is up on our current server and I am trying to export all of the current alerts to the new SQL instance.

I scripted out the alerts into one file, but when I run the create alerts script:

IF (EXISTS (SELECT name FROM msdb.dbo.sysalerts WHERE name = N'56800 - CWS Reminder E-mails'))

---- Delete the alert with the same name.

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_delete_alert @name = N'56800 - CWS Reminder E-mails'

BEGIN

EXECUTE msdb.dbo.sp_add_alert @name = N'56800 - CWS Reminder E-mails', @message_id = 56800, @severity = 0, @enabled = 1, @delay_between_responses = 0, @include_event_description_in = 5, @job_name = N'Baggot_email_Reminder', @category_name = N'[Uncategorized]'

END

GO

I get

Server: Msg 14262, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_verify_alert, Line 76

The specified @message_id ('56800') does not exist.

Is there any way to script out the message_ids?  If I copied all the data from msdb.dbo.sysalerts to the new server, would there be a problem?

• You need to run the following select:

select * from sysmessages where error > 50000

This will give you all of the custom error essages that need to be created in your new box. Then the alerts will load correctly.

• In order to automate this instead of creating each message by hand, I needed to 1. make the system tables editable 2. copy sysmessages with errors greater than 50,000 to my new server.

Enable edit on system tables

EXEC sp_configure 'allow updates', '1'

GO

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

I then created and ran a DTS package that would copy [master].[dbo].[sysmessages] records that had error > 50000 over to the new server

Disable edit on system tables

EXEC sp_configure 'allow updates', '0'

GO

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

GO

Viola, you can then run the script to create the RAISERRORS

• What form does this DTS take to copy sysmessages? I'm running the below code and getting the error "Ad hoc updates to system catalogs are not allowed"

--Copy custom messages from other SQL Server

insert master.dbo.sysmessages

select *

from [OtherServer].master.dbo.sysmessages

where error > 50000

• John,

Reread my post right above yours. You need to run the sp_configures to allow updates, then run your insert, then be sure to reconfigure to turn off the updates to system tables.

Terrence

• I did run the sp_configures as you specified. I still got the same error:

"Ad hoc updates to system catalogs are not allowed"

Why does the insert SQL need to be in a DTS package? Why not just run it from Query Analyser?

• As for why in a DTS, what can I say? I'm a GUI junkie... Are you running this against SQL 2000? SQL 2005 still protects you from editing the system tables even when running sp_configure, I believe.

You could always create a script that reiterates sp_addmessage for each of the raiserrors you are wanting to recreate.

• I am running SQLServer 2005, that explains why it didn't work

Thanks for the sp_addmessages idea. I recently discovered I could use the Transfer Error Messages task in SSIS (as a GUI junkie I'm sure you would prefer this to Plan B: writing a cursor to pull from sys.messages then use sp_addmessages, which sounds like it should work)

Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply