ERROR cursor:The cursor does not include the table being modified or the table is not updatable through the cursor.

• Hi

I get the above error putting adding print statments in the code for the cursor I've written otherwise the cursor code executes fine but isn't updating the target table.

I have the cursor below which look at the source table that has the same field sizes as the variables declared and checks target table for if the data is there if not it inserts - if it is and the company name is different it updates the company name or if the groupcompany (category) is X in the target it updates it to what is in the source table (I'm using sql 2008)

Is there anything obvious you can see

BEGIN TRAN

Declare @AccId varchar(10), @GrpCmp varchar(1),@CmpName varchar(50), @Addr1 varchar(30), @Addr2 varchar(30), @Addr3 varchar(30), @Addr4 varchar(30), @Pstcd char(8), @Tel varchar(20) , @Fax varchar(20), @ContName varchar(20), @ContName2 varchar(20)

--source table

DECLARE Cursor1 Cursor

For

Select AccountId, GroupCompany, Companyname, Addr1, Addr2, Addr3, Addr4, Postcode, Telephone, Fax, ContactName, ContactName2

from dbo.source_table

OPEN Cursor1;

FETCH NEXT FROM Cursor1

INTO @AccId, @GrpCmp, @CmpName, @Addr1, @Addr2, @Addr3, @Addr4, @Pstcd, @Tel, @Fax, @ContName, @ContName2

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS=0

BEGIN

IF NOT exists(Select @AccId, @GrpCmp from dbo.Customer )

IF NOT EXISTS(Select @AccId from dbo.Customer WHERE GroupCompany='X')

BEGIN

INSERT INTO dbo.Customer (AccountID, CompanyName, Addr1, Addr2, Addr3, Addr4, Postcode, Telephone, Fax, ContactName, ContactName2)

Values( @AccId, @CmpName, @Addr1, @Addr2, @Addr3, @Addr4, @Pstcd, @Tel, @Fax, @ContName, @ContName2 )

END

Else IF Not exists(Select @GrpCmp from dbo.Customer where AccountID=@AccId and GroupCompany='X')

BEGIN

Update dbo.Customer

Set GroupCompany=@GrpCmp

where CURRENT OF Cursor1

END

Else

IF Not exists (Select @CmpName from dbo.Customer where AccountID=@AccId and GroupCompany=@GrpCmp )

BEGIN

Update dbo.Customer

Set CompanyName=@CmpName

where CURRENT OF Cursor1

END

FETCH NEXT FROM Cursor1

INTO @AccId, @GrpCmp, @CmpName, @Addr1, @Addr2, @Addr3, @Addr4, @Pstcd, @Tel, @Fax, @ContName, @ContName2

END

CLOSE Cursor1

DEALLOCATE Cursor1

COMMIT TRAN

Thanks

• Hello,

your cursor is over a table named dbo.source_table, so your update must be over the same table;

Update dbo.Customer

Set CompanyName=@CmpName

where CURRENT OF Cursor1

This code doesn't work because Cursor1 doesn't point to any row in the Customer table.

As I can see your queries are wrongly coded. For instance, coding

IF NOT exists(Select @AccId, @GrpCmp from dbo.Customer )

IF NOT EXISTS(Select @AccId from dbo.Customer WHERE GroupCompany='X')

is the same than coding

IF NOT exists(Select 'my', 'god' from dbo.Customer )

IF NOT EXISTS(Select 'oops' from dbo.Customer WHERE GroupCompany='X')

In the first question you ask for a empty table, the second question asks for any customer in group 'X'. I suppose you would code

IF NOT exists(Select AccountId from dbo.Customer WHERE AccountId = @AccId AND GroupCompany = @GrpCmp)

IF NOT EXISTS(Select AccountId from dbo.Customer WHERE AccountId = @AccId AND GroupCompany='X')

Codi these EXISTS maybe is correct but surely is poor in performance; you will do better including these conditions in your cursor through a JOIN, the code will be more clear and will run faster.

If your cursor runs over a query like that,

Select SRC.AccountId, SRC.GroupCompany, SRC.Companyname, SRC.Addr1, SRC.Addr2, SRC.Addr3, SRC.Addr4, SRC.Postcode, SRC.Telephone, SRC.Fax, SRC.ContactName, SRC.ContactName2

, CUS.AccountId, CUSX.AccountId

from dbo.source_table SRC

LEFT JOIN dbo.Customer CUS ON SRC.AccountId = CUS.AccountId AND SRC.GroupCompany = CUS.GroupCompany

LEFT JOIN dbo.Customer CUSX ON SRC.AccountId = CUS.AccountId AND SRC.GroupCompany = 'X'

your first and second EXISTS can be replaced by somethingt like

IF @CUS_Accid IS NULL

IF @CUSX_Accid IS NULL

Hope that this helps,

Francesc

• yoho23_2000 (2/22/2011)

Is there anything obvious you can see

Yes, you're using a CURSOR when you should be using a set-based approach. I can't tell you the exact set-based approach to use, because you didn't provide sample data and expected results, but something like the following should get you close. (NOTE: Since you are using SQL 2008, you'll probably want to use the MERGE feature. I don't have 2008, so I don't know the syntax for the MERGE.)

UPDATE dbo.Customer

SET GroupCompany=@GrpCmp, CompanyName=@CmpName

FROM dbo.Customer

INNER JOIN dbo.Source_Table

ON Customer.AccountID = Source_Table.AccountID

AND Customer.GroupCompany IN ('X', Source_Table.GroupCompany)

INSERT INTO dbo.Customer (AccountID, GroupCompany, CompanyName, Addr1, Addr2, Addr3, Addr4, Postcode, Telephone, Fax, ContactName, ContactName2)

SELECT Source_Table.AccountID, Source_Table.GroupCompany, Source_Table.CompanyName, Source_Table.Addr1, Source_Table.Addr2, Source_Table.Addr3, Source_Table.Addr4, Source_Table.Postcode, Source_Table.Telephone, Source_Table.Fax, Source_Table.ContactName, Source_Table.ContactName2

FROM dbo.Source_Table

LEFT OUTER JOIN dbo.Customer

ON Customer.AccountID = Source_Table.AccountID

AND Customer.GroupCompany IN ('X', Source_Table.GroupCompany)

WHERE Customer.AccountID IS NULL

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply