Error importing from EXCEL

• Hi People,

really hope you can help me with this one - I'm trying to import some data from an excel (2003) spreadsheet. It's just straight text in four columns and I have specified that all columns are nvarchar(255) apart from the fourth column which is nvarchar(1000)

This should be plenty for the data in the  fourth column as the max length of an item is 433.

My import package falls over at the same spot every time with this error message:

'Error at Source for Row number 43. Errors encountered so far in this task:1. Data for source column 4 ('Notes1') is too large for the specified buffer size.'

Am I doing something basically wrong?  Row 43 isn't a large row (180), I just think that some critical number is reached at this point.

Thanks in advance...

Tim

• hello people,

Sorted this one myself... managed to find this

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3BEN-US%3BQ281517

cheers anyway

Tim

• I feel your pain as I have run into this one a few times myself.  I finally decided that it is easier to find the row in question and move it to the top of the spreadsheet.  Thanks for giving me a second way to accomplish this without moving the row

Marvin

Marvin Dillard
    Senior Consultant
    Claraview Inc

• I copped out and moved the row....!!!LOL

• This is usually to do with the data in the first rows.  Assumptions are made about the data type in the first 100 rows, if something gets picked up later that doesn't fit (e.g. text after all previous rows had numbers) then it either errors or completely ignores it.

• Hi Julie,

Apparently the default is the first 8 rows only, this value being stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\Engines\Excel\TypeGuessRows

If you set the value to 0, the number of source rows scanned is 16384!

There's some logic there somewhere... like I said, easier just to move the row...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply