Error in data import

• One of my packages failed with this error---> The "output column "Column 8" (42)" failed because error code 0xC0209084 occurred, and the error row disposition on "output column "Column 8" (42)" specifies failure on error.. This package imports data from a csv file to a table. This package has been running without any problem for some time now. So I know the problem is with the csv file but need to point out which data is causing the problem.

From this error I know that the column number where the error occurs is column 8 but does the 42 indicate the row number ?? Column 8 has money datatype.

Please let me know your thoughts on how to find the data causing the problem.

Sanz
  • 42 isn't the row number; it represents the column ID. Check the data in the file and make sure it agrees with what the package is expecting...

• Wot is a column ID ? How do I find the column ID ?

Sanz
  • SSIS uses the ID to refer to the column.

Right-click on your flat file source and show the advanced editor. Go to Input and Output properties and select one of the columns. In the Properties pane on the right, you'll see the properties of the column, including the column ID...

• You are correct. Column 8 of Output column has an ID of 42.

I am not very sure with the Available External Columns and Available Output Columns I see in the Flat file Source. Could you please elaborate on what those are. Are they mapping the text file data to the table columns ?

I was able to troubleshoot the issue. There was a missing column in the flat file that caused the error. Thanx a lot for the help.

Sanz
  • Yeah, they essentially map the columns in the file to output columns. That editor enables you to set column widths, specify filure or ignore on truncation, etc. BOL may have more info.

Glad you got it figured out...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply