error in logshiping

• I am trying to setup the Log Shipping between two SQL Server 2005 instances which stay on different Windows-2003 servers.

Both have exact same verion of OS and SQL Server installations [in fact, they are VMs].

Both the systems can talk and user on one box can create/delete the files on other box.

It is strange that it is complaining the about the file which is on the local drive and which has full permissions.

Primary Server:SQLhescom =>Windows-2003, SQL Server 2005

Secondary/Server:SQLhescomlog=>Windows-2003, SQL Server 2005

The error I am getting is,

===================================

Cannot open backup device '\\SQLhescom\backup folder\logshipDb.bak'. Operating system error 5(Access is denied.).

RESTORE FILELIST is terminating abnormally. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

------------------------------

The error is coming when I am telling it to backup current, restore onto another server and set the secondary as Standby.

Can anybody tell me what I am missing here for the Log Shipping configuration.

Any suggest is well appreciated.

Thanks

Manjunath

• Access denied error 5 is pretty clear. My guess is you have set the share permissions but not the NTFS permissions.

Check the properties for the share below. Then go to the security tab and check the NTFS permissions.

When share and NTFS permissions combine the most restrictive applies!

manju3606 (9/2/2011)

\\SQLhescom\backup folder\

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Are you using a domain account for the connection, or local account?

• Hi,

I am using local account

• manju3606 (9/3/2011)

Hi,

I am using local account

You need to use a Domain Account with the proper permissions.

For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

• manju3606 (9/3/2011)

Hi,

I am using local account

If you're running the sql server services under a local account, the local Windows user account needs to be created on each server with the same password to allow pass through authentication. The local user is then granted access to the file systems

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• How to do logshiping in different domains? let me know step by step process plz? waiting for reply

• If you are not logshipping through domain account then

1)you must create a same windows account on both primary & secondary server having same password

2)Run the sql server & sql agent service through that account

3)shared folder must have read write permission for this account on both server.

4)See to it that that password is not changed

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply