Error in max(substring)

• yuvipoy (11/5/2012)

How many different record layouts would you like to handle automatically?

i am having some 80 columns

And, no... this actually isn't a pivot problem. It's simply a split of fix field format data. I can help you after I get home from work tonight.

i have tried with pivot as well as the method i have posted,it seems that the method posted above by me is more faster than pivot, i'm looking for more faster process then the existing pivot and other method.

In the meantime, it would be helpful if you could provide some readily consumable test data.

this is mytable

startid, endid

input will be '101011123'

i need like

Select 1,0,1,01,112

if your still unclear,given me your understanding on this post i will try to correct them :exclamationmark:

Thanks

You didn't read the article at the first link in my signature line below and you haven't actually answer my question as to whether or not there's more than one type of record you want to handle, but I get what you're trying to do and it's fairly easy. I'll see what I can do after work tonight.

It would still me nice if you read the article at the link I provided because people are more willing and able to help when you provide more than one line of data in a readily consumable format. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply