Error message looking at sysdatabases

• I get the following error message when I try and loop through all databases to perform a query using sp_MSforeachdb.

'Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database 'OrtusSearch'. No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.'

However where I run the below code I get no results.

select * from sysdatabases

where name = 'ortussearch'

I have an entry in sysdatabases for an ortussearch.com database. I don`t understand why I am getting the above situation. Any thoughts ?

• Hi Simon

It's a long shot, but could it be case sensitivity? Try 'ortussearch' in your sp_MSforeachdb query.

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• What I don`t get is that I am not using OrtusSearch in the ? criteria in sp_MSforeachdb. Its just looping through and hitting the error. Very odd.

• What do you get when you run this:

select name from sysdatabases

where UPPER(name) LIKE 'ORTUSSEARCH%'

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• I get OrtusSearch.com

As the database is called. Really confused now !

• What's sp_MSforeachdb running?

• Try within your sp_msforeachdb puttin [ ] around the ?. This will then ensure that you capture non standard naming convention databases.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• I know exactly why you suggested that and I`ve already tried it to try and counteract the fullstop. Doesn`t make a difference though.

It looks like the initial error message is failing on a database that doesn`t exist. Vexing !

• What's the code you're trying to run inside sp_MSforeachdb?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Code running is as such :

DECLARE @command varchar(1000)

SELECT @command = 'IF ''[?]'' LIKE (''JM%'')

BEGIN USE ? select prefix, dataversion from system END'

EXEC sp_MSforeachdb @command

Returns results for 30 database and then error message as stated in first post.

• Try [ ] around the BEGIN USE ?

thusly

SELECT @command = 'IF ''[?]'' LIKE (''JM%'')

BEGIN USE [?] select prefix, dataversion from system END'

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• Bingo

SELECT @command = 'IF ''?'' LIKE (''JM%'')

BEGIN USE [?] select prefix, dataversion from system END'

Moving the square brackets worked fine.

If anyone can tidy everything up and work out why it the error message at the beginning references a database name that doesn`t exists then that would be an added bonus.

Thanks everyone.

• and no [] inside the IF, because you're trying to do a string match there, not refer to the DB itself.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Simon Smith (12/4/2008)

If anyone can tidy everything up and work out why it the error message at the beginning references a database name that doesn`t exists then that would be an added bonus.

A . is not allowed within an identifier. It's used with 2, 3 or 4 part naming to denote the portions of the name. I'm guessing that SQL ignored everything after the . and took just the portion before as the DB name.

Gail Shaw

• Groovy. And now I have closure !

Thanks all again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply