Error->Restore Master Database

• Hi All,

Am getting the below error while trying to restore the backed up master database (in single user mode only):

Master database Restore:The media set has 2 media families but only 1 are provided. ALL members must be provided.

Note: I cannot backup the master database again.

I would appreciate any kind of help for the above error.

Many thanks in advance!

• You performed a striped backup. The backup of master went to two files, not one and you are only specifying one file.

Unless you find the other file, you cannot restore.

• yes that is right you performed a striped backup, you can't restore until you find another file.

Rajesh Kasturi

• But I think I had taken the backup in a single destination only.

Is it possible to get the error in the above case?

• jananik (12/27/2008)

But I think I had taken the backup in a single destination only.

Did you backup using the management studio gui? If there were two files listed in the destination box, the backup was striped across the two, even if one was highlighted.

Is it possible to get the error in the above case?

No. The error means that the backup was stripped and you only have some of the files.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you... I shall check again for more back files specified on that data...

But to my knowledge i would have specified one location in the destination list.

Anyway thanks all....

• You are welcome

Rajesh Kasturi

• Did you solve the problem?

• try running the query if u have still doubt

restore verifyonly from disk=' ' which will provide the details backup file consistancy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply