Error running upgrade from SQL 2005 Std x32 to SQL 2008 Std x32

• I'm running into a funky problem. My dev SQL 2005 server has both a Default instance and a named instance called "TEST". (Creative name huh? :-P)

The server is a VM in vSphere, it runs fine. I copied it into our lab, changed the credentials used for the pertinant services to a local account, granted that account local Admin rights as well as 'sa' rights in SQL. To make sure all the services start propperly I rebooted several times and they always come up. All is good right?

Now because the "TEST" instance will not be used, I disabled the services for that instance. I roboot to test a few more times and all is good.

I start the upgrade and it goes for a long while (disk LUN's are iSCSI) and when it get's to the point where it tries to start the SQL services it fails with the following message....

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup

------------------------------

The following error has occurred:

The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?LinkID=20476&ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=setup.rll&EvtID=50000&ProdVer=10.50.1600.1&EvtType=0xB4A84AA1%25400xC24842DB

BUTTONS:

OK

I know I'm missing something, any ideas? 😀

• OK, I figured it out. I had to disjoin the domain first because it is now in the LAB. Kind of weird :hehe: considering I changed ALL the SQL services to use local server credentials.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply