• Hi,

I have the code snipptes as below in Store Procedure:

set nocount on

select 2/0

if @@error <> 0

BEGIN

SELECT 'Error'

END

When I run the SP through Application the system Error along with the "Error" is return. I don't want it to be return. I want only Select 'Error' to be return from the IF block.

Please help... 

Kindest Regards,

Vishal Prajapati

DBA at Extentia Infromation Technology

• I have no clue, recently someone asked the same for warnings.

You can raise a custom error with RAISERROR but the original error will be sent also (I presume).

Does the application has a data access layer seperated from the business/UI layer where you can translate those errors?

• Select 2/0

Server: Msg 8134, Level 16, State 1, Line 2

Divide by zero error encountered.

Note the Level 16 - too high to be trappable.

• I don't understand what the purpose of this may be...but here's a possible workaround...

<pre class="code"

SET ANSI_WARNINGS OFF

SET ARITHABORT OFF

IF 2/0 IS NULL

BEGIN

SELECT 'Error'

END

SET ANSI_WARNINGS ON

SET ARITHABORT ON

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

• In testing I noticed that as you stated you can't trap the error but at the same time the stored procedure does NOT abort.  If you don't test for the error and take action the procedure continues on and will commit!

That's a gotcha!!

• Hi,

Vishal again...

Thankz to all for your reply.

But the solution which you have given is specific to the arithmetic error. I want to have the general solution. If any type of system error is generated it should not be thrown to application. I want to manage it through SP itself.

Kindest Regards,

Vishal Prajapati

DBA at Extentia Infromation Technology

• The error handling in sql server 2000 is not very good and there may not be a reasonable way around your problem.  The only other thing I can think of is to look at sql server 2005 where the error handling is supposed to much improved by the use of Try/Catch code blocks.

• Yikes - maybe it's an epidemic!

I've seen 2 similar posts in as many days with the same requirement! Vishal - one of these links has a couple of links posted by Frank Kalis on error handling - maybe you'll get some pointers from there...

error description in stored procedure

retrieving SQL error message

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply