Error trying to run query across servers

• Good day,

I posted this in T-SQL, and got some help, but I had already tried all that - so, I am hoping for more help.

I will do my best to explain the situation, but please feel free to ask more questions.

I have a server that used to make a call to another server for data.  Now, the data resides on a NEW box on a new domain.  Ever since this happened, the SP does not work, giving the following:

[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].

Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Procedure dtc_spTest_cory, Line 16

The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

So, here is the setup:

Domain_1/Server_A - SQL Server 2000 with Windows Server 2000 (fully patched and SP'ed)

Domain_2/Server_B - same set up

Server_A has a SP that creates a temp table, then insert the data into the temp table, calling another SP on the linked server.  See below:

PROCEDURE [dbo].[dtc_spTest]

AS

BEGIN

Create

TABLE #tmpPractice

(

uniqueID

INT,

Name VARCHAR

(75),

StateAbbrev VARCHAR

(4),

StartDate

DATETIME,

ExpectedStudies

FLOAT,

Priority

SMALLINT,

Status

SMALLINT

)

INSERT INTO #tmpPractice

EXEC

<linkedServer>.<DB>.dbo.<SP> '8/31/06', 1,1,1,1

END

Running simply the EXEC statement from Server_A works to Server_B, but inside the SP, I get the above error...Please help!

I have verifed that Network DTC is enabled, the @@ServerName is set correct, Component Services is set as required, ect, all google searches have been tried...

TIA,

Cory

-- Cory

• Cory,

I had THE SAME problem when connecting by Openrowset to several servers from any of my SQL 2000 servers. Connection to some servers was successful and when connecting to other servers  I got this message. Everything was working fine as Select, but as soon as I was inserting the results into the Temp Table it was the distributed transaction right away and as i say, it was working with some servers but not with others if run from SQL 2000.

There were a lot of discussions on this site about this problem and the common advice was to set correct security in DTC (Distributed Transaction Coordinator) in Component Services applet. I did all that and it did not help. My queries are working well from SQL Server 2005 connecting to all servers, so I run the job from SQL 2005.

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• I have tried this on nearly every computer...and what has seemed interesting is that when the machines are on the same subnet and or domain, this works...however, the cross domain / subnet is not working.  I am beginning to think it has something to do with that.  Especially since no one here seems to have an answer...I have never been let down before.

-- Cory

• I have a question for you, inside the SP call, is there a BEGIN TRAN statement?

Mark

• inside the actual SP, I have tried it both ways.  The current version does not have that statement, I have tried adding it, the begin trans and commit, I have tried "SET xact_abort ON", "SET REMOTE_PROC_TRANSACTIONS ON", and I think every combination. 

I have gone thru everything on this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839279

Please, I will try just about everything.  As I have said before, I still think this is not really an issue with the code, more the fact that the servers are on different subnets and or domains.  I am trying to eliminate all possibilities.

-- Cory

• I have this same problem. Any resolution to this yet? It may have something to do with triggers. Triggers are part of the transaction.

Ronald San Juan | SQL DBA
    ID 710124 ~ Code "Northwind"

• Is the Distributed Transaction Coordinator service running?

Mark

• Yes, stated in the post above, network DTC is up and running. 

-- Cory

• Cory,

Your posting is from 6/6/2006...did you ever resolve the issue?

-SQLBill

• I was trying to recall that just today.  I cannot recall if it got fixed, or we worked around it.  Either way, right now, it is no longer an issue.  I assume we worked around the problem, otherwise I would have posted my solution.

Sorry

-- Cory

• No problem. I was just going to ask if you had checked to see if:

1. there was a firewall between the domains.

2. if the SP was being run by a login that also had permissions on the database on the other server.

-SQLBill

• I saw three related/similar posts in this forum/site. None of which have a finite solution.

• Thanks SQLBill,

There was no corporate firewall between these domains, I was never really able to find out if windows 2003 had some sort of firewall or not that could have been an issue.

The SP was run by a login that existed on both server with permissions.

-- Cory

• http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=263197

and

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=5&messageid=293095

have similar situations.

The first is very tricky as the statement

Set @Var = Exec ServerName.DB.DBO.proc

works while

Insert TableName

Exec ServerName.DB.DBO.proc

doesn't.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply