Error trying to run query across servers

• Good day,

I will do my best to explain the situation, but please feel free to ask more questions.

I have a server that used to make a call to another server for data.  Now, the data resides on a NEW box on a new domain.  Ever since this happened, the SP does not work, giving the following:

[OLE/DB provider returned message: New transaction cannot enlist in the specified transaction coordinator. ]

OLE DB error trace [OLE/DB Provider 'SQLOLEDB' ITransactionJoin::JoinTransaction returned 0x8004d00a].

Msg 7391, Level 16, State 1, Procedure dtc_spTest_cory, Line 16

The operation could not be performed because the OLE DB provider 'SQLOLEDB' was unable to begin a distributed transaction.

So, here is the setup:

Domain_1/Server_A - SQL Server 2000 with Windows Server 2000 (fully patched and SP'ed)

Domain_2/Server_B - same set up

Server_A has a SP that creates a temp table, then insert the data into the temp table, calling another SP on the linked server.  See below:

PROCEDURE [dbo].[dtc_spTest]

AS

BEGIN

Create

TABLE #tmpPractice

(

uniqueID

INT,

Name VARCHAR

(75),

StateAbbrev VARCHAR

(4),

StartDate

DATETIME,

ExpectedStudies

FLOAT,

Priority

SMALLINT,

Status

SMALLINT

)

INSERT INTO #tmpPractice

EXEC

<linkedServer>.<DB>.dbo.<SP> '8/31/06', 1,1,1,1

END

Running simply the EXEC statement from Server_A works to Server_B, but inside the SP, I get the above error...Please help!

I have verifed that Network DTC is enabled, the @@ServerName is set correct, Component Services is set as required, ect, all google searches have been tried...

TIA,

Cory

-- Cory

• So if you change the sp to just return a row of hardcoded data, it works OK?

Tim Wilkinson

"If it doesn't work in practice, you're using the wrong theory"
    - Immanuel Kant

• Stax,

I am not sure I follow you...?

-- Cory

• is the msdtc service running on both boxes, is there a firewall between them or could one of the boxes be on a dmz?

• The MSDTC service is running on both machines.  That reminds me, the new box (server_b) is a clustered sever.

The network guys tell me there is not a firewall between these servers...but I heard something about a PIC(?) firewall there...

I do not think there is any sort of DMZ here...I will ask the network guys again to make sure...

Good ideas, keep em coming!

-- Cory

• Easy way to do a quick check is to open query analyzer on domain you are connecting from and issue a sql statement against the domain you are trying to query.

First do normal query without distribution (use correct login with rights)

select top 10 * from servername.databasename.dbo.tablename

if this come back with data you know normal connectivity\rights are ok.

Then try:

begin distributed tran

select top 10 * from servername.databasename.dbo.tablename

commit

if this errors then something is blocking msdtc

• I found this web site (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=839279) that said to do the following to reproduce the issue:

SET xact_abort ON

GO

USE  pubs

GO

BEGIN DISTRIBUTED TRANSACTION

SELECT  *  FROM <remote_server>.pubs.dbo.authors

COMMIT TRAN

GO

and that does not work (gives the error in the 1st post), however, the following does:

SELECT  *  FROM <remote_server>.pubs.dbo.authors

I have also run the DTCPing utility, and that shows there are no issues.

-- Cory

• I still have not fixed this - would still love to hear some more ideas / thoughts / things to try...

Cory

-- Cory

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply