Error when attempting to stop a SQL 2000 Instance from Enterprise Manager

• I recently setup about 6 default instances of SQL 2000 SP4 Build 8.00.2187 in our dev environment. When I went to stop SQL using Enterprise Manager by Right click on instance and click stop, I receive the folloiwng error: -

I have read many white papers on how to correctly setup the SQL startup account ie. Do not add as part of the local administrators group; When you specifiy the account during installation ie a domain account, SQL server is supposed to setup the correct security ie. directory, registry and user rights security for the specified account. These I have confirmed are in place. Microsoft recommend themselves that you do NOT run SQl server under such high user rights.

So I am confused why I am challenged with this error upon stopping SQL through EM. I can use the SQL service manager to stop successfully, but my production SQL servers are running the same build of SQL and also the account sepecified to run SQL in production is not a member of the local admin group, and I do NOT receive this error.

Any ideas/suggestions as to what may be the problem here would be most welcome..btw...This is a non-clustered environment

• Gavin,

Your image of the error message doesn't display.  Could you post the text of the message?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg

• Service Control Failure: An Error 1051 - ( A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services are dependant on) occured while performing this service operation on the MSSQLServer Service.

I understand the Agent is a dependancy, but that's by design. I just still do not understand why it will only allow me to stop SQL server from the Sql server service manager, and not from EM.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this..Thanks for the heads up re: the image

• Are you running EM from your desktop or from the SQL Server ? What windows account are you logging in as ? Does the windows account that you are logging in as have the correct permissions on the SQL Server to start and stop services ?

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Is it a cluster, or standalone?

(Can cause 'funnies' with dependancies)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply