Error while cube browsing in SSAS and BIDS using Time Intelligence Dimensions

• I used the BIDS 2008 Time Intelligence wizard to create calculations like period-to-date calculations, rolling averages and period over period growth. I can browse al of my regular time dimensions and calculated time dimensions (based on time intelligence wizard), however when I add new dimensions to the row while time is on coloumns, I am getting random error sometimes it will work sometimes it's not. I've read on other blogs and forums that this is common on SSAS 2005 I'm not sure if it's still prevalent in 2008.

Please help me! Thanks.

• Can you provide more details on the error message?

Thanks

• This is the error I'm getting:

Microsoft Office PivotTable List

An error 0xE0040200 occurred. No further information was provided.

So I don't have any clue what this error means but I have a hunch. I think it happens often when I use Period Over Period Growth, Period Over Period Growth %

where Period can be Year, Semester, Quarter or Month.

But if I just browse using the Year To Date, Semester To Date, Quater to Date and Month to Date I'm fine.

• May be unrelated. I have come across this error a few times on discussion groups before specifically related with cube browsing. Here is one article. Are you suppressing empty cells? Click this article for more details. Hopefully it solves your issue.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlanalysisservices/thread/a446e78e-ffc4-476d-bacf-d5abefe84fdc

• No, I did not suppress any cells. How will I suppress non empty behavior, is it the additional properties> Non-empty behavior and choose the appropriate measure?

• I don't have any clue what this error means but I have a hunch. I think it happens often when I use Period Over Period Growth, Period Over Period Growth %

where Period can be Year, Semester, Quarter or Month.

But if I just browse using the Year To Date, Semester To Date, Quater to Date and Month to Date I'm fine

nature cleanse [/url]

• I've had exactly the same problem, when using a specific heirarchy (in my case dates and times) it gives the error dialog with this error code in it. However when using individual attributes and filters (e.g. month attribute and 2009 as a year filter) it works fine.

using checking the 'Show emtpy cells' flag in the browser fixed the problem for me, although from what I've read on the internet in general this appears to be a bug with the cube browser or pivot code in BIDS as browsing the cube with other clients its all works fine as expected.

Also this problem only occurs when using a LastChild aggregate measure, all other measures such as counts work fine with all the dimensions/levels/heirarchies etc...

🙂

• If you have it available, try browsing the same data in Excel 2007 and see if the problem persists. I have run in to a similar issue browsing time intelligence dimensions in BIDS (both 2005 and 2008) but in Excel (and other tools) it works fine.

• As pointed out: the problem appears in SSAS Cube Browser, but no problem when browsing the cube in Excel Pivot Table

nb

It seems that the issue (at least for me) appears when it is trying to display a result which is invalid or undefined:

I can browse my calculated measure Moving Quarter to Date (lastperiods(3) at Month level, lastperiod(1) at quarter level, N/A or NULL at Year level

If I only display the quarters, it is fine

If I start browsing the cube at the top of the hierarchy, the years make no sense and the error appears

I have a piece of code which excludes the All dimension member

SCOPE ([DimTime].[Year - Quarter - Month].[All]);

[Date Calculations].[Date Calculation].[YTD] = NULL;

[Date Calculations].[Date Calculation].[PY YTD]=NULL;

END SCOPE;

But I am not sure how to write a similar fragment to exclude all members at the Year level .

But it is fine in Excel anyway, and users do not use the SSAS cube browser.

Mark Lockett

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply