Error with Distribution Agents

• In my test environment I recently applied SQL Server 2000 SP3 to one of the two servers involved in replication. I also applied a bunch of Windows 2000 OS patches.

The error is "Another distribution agent for the subscription(s) is running."

This error appears in the EM Session Details of Distribution Agent window. It has a date and time from when the SQL Server is started.

It looks like the replication is actually running correctly. The error was not occuring before the updates listed above.

The distributor is running on the same server as the publisher. EM shows the red X on one of the the 2 publications on this server. There is also the red X on the Distribution Agents folder under the Replication Monitor.

However, both of the publications listed under the Distribution Agents folder have the green arrows and appear to be running.

Any ideas why EM thinks there is an error while the distribution agents themselves do not show the red X?

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

• Hi,

Yeah, I ve had something similar to this before.

Is the replication all working correctly?

If I remember correctly, this can happen if you don't remove all the jobs when dropping and reapplying replication..doesn't sound like you.

Or there is a table in the TempDB

SELECT * from msreplication_agent_status

This can sometimes show an error status against an agent and cause a Red Cross to appear even though the agent appears to be running. You just have to reset the status and the red cross goes away.

Hope this is of some help

Regards...Graeme

• Thanks for the suggestion. I could see the status field with the incorrect values.

However, the replicatation was not working. I ended up scripting out the replication, droppping all replication and scripting it again.

Replication working OK now.

Jeff

Jeff451SQL Guru wannabe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply