Errors in SQL Server

• Other than the SQL Server Logs, SQL Server Agent Logs, and Event Viewer; is there another place to view error information regarding SQL Server? My SR. DBA, is stating there is and wants me to figure it out on my own. Which I have been trying to.

I have been Googling to see if there are system tables that contain error information (I am not finding any), searching for DMV's that may contain this information (not finding any), found the sp_readerrorlog/xp_readerrorlog but they tell me the same thing that I see when viewing the log via SSMS and googled RAISERROR to see how it works and where it writes to, etc....

We are using a RAISERROR function to log errors, is there a certain log file that these are written to?

Any and All help will be greatly appreciated...Thank You

• No, raiserror doesn't log to some other log file or system table. If the error is high enough severity or with the WITH LOG option, then it goes into the SQL Server error log.

SQL Server errors aren't logged into the SQL Agent error log, that's for SQL Agent specific errors

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • It sounds like your shop may have build some custom error-hadling log - which simply a table - where all errors from begin catch / end catch blocks are being recorded.

• Profiler?

The SQL Guy @ blogspot[/url]

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply